I’m new to DTO and to drawing. I’ve never attended an art class and I don’t think I’ve attempted drawing more than 5 portraits or figure drawings in my life.
I’ve come to the realisation that the only way to improve my oil painting skills is by learning to draw. Being rather sleep deprived with a clingy baby at the moment, I haven’t had a chance to do any of the classes on DTO yet.
I did manage to watch one of your critique videos though and I was inspired to attempt to draw my 9 month old daughter.
This is my first attempt at drawing on toned paper. And I’d never used the white pencil before. I’m pleased with the result but I can see that there’s room for improvement.
I’d love any feedback, in particular I was wondering about the following:
- The eyes just don’t look right to me.
- The ears: I took the strings out on either side and didn’t know how to accurately fill in those gaps.
- The highlights: I started using the white pencil on the right side of the face. It looked a bit strange to me so I immediately stopped and thought I would rather ask for your advice.
- Should the inside of the hat be darker?
- Background: Would a slightly darker value on the left side add anything to the drawing?
So glad I’ve joined DTO, I can see that the site has a lot to offer.