Firstly thanks for the great link you posted on the cast drawing course. This drawing was a real struggle not least because of all the different values. Secondly I changed my paper to a Strathmore Bristol 300 series Vellum as opposed to the really cheap paper I had been using. I found it extremely difficult to work on; the graphite wouldn’t fill up the tooth making it extremely grainy and in parts had to blend with a cotton bud, which wasn’t the look I was going for. Smoothly transitioning through the values and getting those soft edges, of which there were many, also proved difficult and am disappointed because I know I could have done so much better. With regards to the values it all looks way too dark until I squint and only then does it all seem to balance out and look acceptable. I guess me and dark values is a battle I’m not about to win anytime soon.
Lastly on a positive note I remember you talking about interesting edges and paid particular attention to these on HER right side. I thought by darkening those edges but having the background lighter on that side would emphasise this. Welcome your thoughts Matt. Many thanks