Zorn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Erik Lodin
    Participant

Hi all!

I must say that the possibility to join you and Matt for a drawing session at the Met would be amazing (if it wasn’t a billion miles away). But today I at least was at the Zorn museum here in Sweden.

So many amazing pieces of art and a guided tour through his home where he spent the latter part of his life. Such a diverse artist. Sculptures, etchings, water color and oil paintings. He even designed canvas frames and furniture.

I especially found the studies very interesting. To see how this master used big blobs of paint to figure out the composition and colors. And how even he used photo reference for some of his pieces. And the the way he dealt with client wanting alterations… 🙂

Erik Lodin
    Participant

Photo reference

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Erik Lodin
    Participant

Sculpture (wood carving)
    Sketch book
    Rough study

Attachments:
    Erik Lodin
    Participant

Dealing with clients like a Rock Star

Attachments:
    Erik Lodin
    Participant

One of my favorites. I am really intrigued by the way Zorn simplified anything that was not important while still keeping the painting detailed where required.

Attachments:
    Erik Lodin
    Participant

As a real treat I learned that Zorn was actually a good friend of another Swedish artist, Carl Larsson. Who I really admire as well.
    One of the paintings Zorn had in his chambers was a piece by Carl Larsson, specially requested by Zorn. Apparently he said that he wanted “something naked and pretty” to look at when he woke up in the morning. I really found it amusing that Carl (not usually doing nudes) found a way to make it into a self portrait.

Attachments:
    Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Erik,

Thanks so much for uploading this. It’s really so very cool. Listen to tonight’s podcast, I leave a few comments on this.

Hope all is well.

Matt

Erik Lodin
    Participant

My pleasure Matt!

All is well. I’m currently trying to learn how to sculpt digitally but I’ve been very busy with graphic design commissions lately. Which I guess is a good thing. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.