When to use projector?

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message When to use projector?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Arjun Khode
    Participant

Hi Matt, in the new course about mixing reference, you mention that there is a time and place to use projector or not use projector. You say that there are some instances where you must totally use a projector. Could you please elaborate on that? I think it totally pertains to me at this point.

For me using the projector would be the same as opening the reference on a new layer within Procreate, get a new layer on top and trace. Then turning off the reference.

We have talked a few weeks ago about how projection is not as easy as it looks and to use a thin pencil when you do it, and that it is about simplifying rather than really tracing over the exact contour, more logical and analytical. For myself, I like to draw a skull and bones on a new layer too and turn it on and off, it helps me a lot.

I think it is possible for me to get a reasonable likeness with about 5 hours of drawing. But I’d much rather use drawing to explore what could be done differently than for doing the final professional product. Like draw for the study, and then use the knowledge I gained, for the final product? Like the best of both worlds?

-Arjun

Arjun Khode
    Participant

To clarify, in the last paragraph I meant that I want to use tracing for professional work and use ‘drawing from scratch’ only for exploring and understanding the subject, not for getting the likeness. So I’d draw a study and apply what I’ve found from it, to make changes to the tracing. The best of both worlds.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.