What could be a non-professional way to become a professional artist?

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message What could be a non-professional way to become a professional artist?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Shunko
    Participant

Hi, Matt!

I want to radically change my mindset regarding the art. I need to completely change how I think about art.

Matthew, what could be a non-professional way to become a professional artist?

Let me explain.

I’ve become a musician the easy way. Music always was my hobby, I never was serious about it. I never paid a single dollar to music teachers, I didn’t get a formal training as a musician, but music became my work. All the money I ever earned, I’ve got from music. A tiny move – and I get rapid progress. I can work hours and hours without being tired. It is like a breathing, it doesn’t require any efforts from me. But I don’t think about music as about job, though I work sometimes from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and then I continue to play music at home until 3 a.m.! It is crazy, but music is easy for me.

Art is the other story. I take art seriously. Very seriously. I learned from a dozen of teachers. I’ve spent a lot of money and time into learning. I had troubles understanding the concepts and finding the right teachers. I went to art school but the curriculum was terrible. I experience the constant failures. I had conflicts with my teachers. Some of the teachers even betrayed me. I wasted a lot of time to find a systematic training. I can’t explain how it is hard for me to draw. I have headaches and eyesight issues when I draw. After 20 or 40 minutes of drawing I am so tired that then for hours and hours can’t get the rid of the eyestrain. And the troubles are not done yet. The learning curve seems endless. Everything goes terribly hard. Once I learn something its value fades away, becase I see that it is not enough for my goals. And my art goals are hard. In music I never had any specific goals! Music is an easy game for me.

So I realize that my “professional” approach to art is much worse than my “hobbyist” approach to music. I spend much more time, efforts, energy and get worse results. In the end, it became a very stressfull and hard task, even though I try to relax. I have no pleasure and no income from art.

I have to change my mindset.

The question is… Have you seen the art students and artists who were like me in music? I mean who take art easy like a game, but succeed. What are they doing? How do they draw? How do they learn? How is their love for art manifested?

What could be a non-professional way to become a professional artist?

Sincerely,
    Alexander

Arjun Khode
    Participant

Hi Alexander. I have a similar issue with losing interest. So I try to convince myself that my main project is a side project. I love side projects!

Matthew
    Keymaster

Alexander,

Listen to tonight’s podcast.

Matt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.