Value study

Dashboard Forums Drawing Questions Value study

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

I’m new here and I just started watching the first video in the cast drawing lesson, which is about value. It is suggested that you should always draw a small value thumbnail as a start. Since my main goal is to learn the fundamentals to become better at drawing with coloured pencils and painting with watercolour, I was wondering if something like this could be implemented with colours? Or how should one think with value thumbnails when working with colours? 🙂 Perhaps this will be discussed in other tutorials which I won’t be able to watch before making more progress, but I just thought I could throw the question out there, in case I would want to practise with my coloured pencils in between.

Marty Kulma
    Participant

Hi Linn,
    I’d like to offer a suggestion: you should try a few exercises in just a single color (or plain pencil) . Learning values is all about light / dark relationships. Determining the value of colors is a lesson in itself.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Thank you Marty,
    I was planning on focusing with value in graphite for a while since I know it is pretty damn hard. I just made the first exercise in the cast tutorial and it was hard! I used a 2B pencil but perhaps I should try another one because I only got three values while drawing, which probably was the aim for the first part but quite boring for a finished detailed piece :p

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.