Tutorial Suggestions

Dashboard Forums Tutorial Suggestions & Feedback Tutorial Suggestions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matthew
    Keymaster

Do you have any suggestions for a new tutorial?

Kelly A Hatfield
    Participant

How about a drawing basics or a how to get started for the real beginners….like me! ✏️☺️

Kelly in Coloradp

Matthew
    Keymaster

Kelly,

That’s a really good idea. I will keep that in mind as I move forward with new stuff.

Matt

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I’d love to get a depth in depth tutorial on hair and facial features.

Alx Mike
    Participant

portrait drawing from memory would be great i think

Nina Willebois
    Participant

My sister actually told me this today, I had no idea it existed, but for some more nature lessons and maybe for you Matt to see how others are giving classes this was recommend to me:

https://www.edx.org/course/drawing-nature-science-culture-natural-newcastlex-nhi101x

Just really nice to see all the techniques and put them together and learn even more. Now just hope that we all have enough time in our already 40 hour working week to put in the extra time every day!

Donna Sekula
    Participant

Could you either in the weekly member message or make a tutorial on how to draw a successful water droplet. I have tried on several occasions, only to realize that I failed to make a realistic water droplet. Thanks Donna

Mike Miller
    Participant

how to draw soft clouds in the sky. Also how to draw a sky so that it is in perspective. My skies end up looking hard and flat.

David Wade
    Participant

I would greatly appreciate tutorials on feature placement once the shape of hair and face have been established in Matt’s typical figure drawings. These would be comparatively small areas to work in with heads no more than two inches high.
    When I draw things fall apart once I have to squeeze features into their correct places and yet without the face in a drawing it feels like cheating by taking the easy way out.

Lori Marshall
    Participant

I would appreciate information on rendering fur as I hope to draw portraits of my dogs. Both are Labradors, black and chocolate…. I think I must be a CRAZY woman to want to take on such a challenge, hahaa.

I am really looking forward to the upcoming gesture podcast. Our local art club has life drawing once a week, no instructor. Most models are clothed. We draw in three 5 minutes, two 15 minutes, and one 45 minute. Sadly the lighting is poor; not much for shadow shapes, but it is still good practice anyways. I find myself getting caught up in detail and perfectionism. Your podcast will hopefully help me get past that.

Matt,

My suggestion is a tutorial on drawing the self portrait. That is creating the set up with a mirror and a spot light to create the shadow patterns on the face. I have been struggling with drawing my selfie at my H-Frame easel with a spot light and drawing in graphite on Strathmore paper. My biggest struggle lately is getting a better likeness. I seem to get the bony structure, hair, eyes, nose, etc. But I cannot seem to get the mouth likeness because my focus is so great that my mouth seems unnaturally severe. It is in the right place but looking stiff. LOL, maybe that is an issue that you can’t tell me how to fix. But I think others might enjoy learning how to draw themselves.

Happy New Year to DTO!
    ingridO

Travis Sennett
    Participant

Matt,

I had an idea for a feature of your site. Not so much of a tutorial per-say.

Something I wish I always had when I started out learning art 5 years ago was a clearer path to getting where I wanted with my artwork fitting my end goal. Now, I know half of the battle is to know where you want to end up. But, I think that it would be pretty cool if you had a “Recommended progression” article or something where you could give a general idea of where your students should start with your tutorials and the order you would recommend they continue to head in the direction they’re looking to go.

Some things like animation, concept art, fine art, portraiture, still lifes, life drawing, illustration, comics… you get the idea. I’m sure with all your SVA students you know all of the variations.

To use me as an example:

At first, I didn’t know what an art career might look like for me. I knew I really wanted to end up in a place where I was drawing from imagination and creating sci-fi, fantasy, or surreal paintings. I wasn’t sure if that was a freelance illustrator, selling originals and prints, or working in house for some company. Regardless, I just got started. As I bounced around through various things on the old site, the new site and other learning resources outside of this site, I knew that no matter where I wanted to go I had to get a strong foundation. But, I got impatient and eventually, I hit a period of major frustration where I could not get the things in my head down on paper. I really wanted to make that leap and move on from the “Homework” as you’ve told me in the past. I know now that a lot of that is just consistent practice and patience and not really something you can force.

All that being said. The thing that sent me here to say all this is that I noticed after I went from anatomy to drawing from memory, perspective and back to anatomy, things just started to click in my head better. Like, I needed to do a combination of those things and revisit them in order to have it click.

I’m having trouble articulating what I’m trying to say. I guess a syllabus of sorts is what I mean. But maybe a syllabus with some asterisks in there that say “If you’re not happy with where you’re at with this go back to X section and run through those lessons again”.

I just feel like people would get a stronger pull into the site if they could see a progression to follow. I’m sure it would be hard to interpret that for everyone, though. The more I type this out the less it seems like a reasonable option. After all that typing I’m just going to submit my suggestion even if it isn’t realistic. Food for thought, anyway. I hope you get what I trying to say. I’m sure there’s a better way to explain it and implement it if you wanted to.

Also, it would be neat if in the sections that you have you put outside resources to look for supplemental learning. Like recommended books, videos, etc. Sometimes it just takes having something explained to you a few different ways to help it all make sense.

Sorry for the essay!

Travis

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.