To Erase Or Not To Erase

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message To Erase Or Not To Erase

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Shunko
    Participant

Matthew, for the illustration / animation / graphic work (when drawing from imagination) is it okay to build a rough drawing, then ink the contours and then erase the rough drawing?

Is it okay to divide the graphic work onto rough pencilling and final inking stages?

Or is it better to ASAP learn to build the image slowly from the very light lines then darker and darker without using the eraser much?

I feel like the first habit goes against the second one.

What do you think?

Alexander

Cody Martin
    Participant

You should look into non-repo blue pencils. You sketch with them but they dont show up in scans of your finished work. Perfect if you are working on something that will eventually end up digital.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=non-repro+blue+pencil&crid=Y7W4B0S8NYVK&sprefix=non-repro%2Caps%2C242&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

I love seeing the sketch work under the work myself though.

Alexander Shunko
    Participant

Cody, there are many ways to do that.

The reason I am asking is not because of technical aspect, but because if I make the rough sketch, then it is hard for me to apply the Continuous Line. If I go for Continuous Line, then it is hard to draw in overall, because I often don’t know where the line should go, so I end up again with the messy drawing that needs a lot of corrections…

Drawing stylised work from imagination feels different than drawing from life or photograph. In the realistic drawing I wouldn’t outline the contours at all.

The question regards drawing from imagination, particularly in the illustration and graphic works.

I guess there should be some kind of learning curve, maybe start with one technique and progress towards another.

Alexander

Cody Martin
    Participant

Oh I see what you’re saying. I misunderstood. I like it a little messy personally.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.