Thinking in Color

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Thinking in Color

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Arjun Khode
    Participant

Hi Matt.
    In my current digital process, I make a fully rendered black and white painting first and then try to color it.
    It is something I started to do since our coaching to try out, I made every single piece with this method since then and now I want to really commit to one consistent coloring process, and I do favor this technique more.
    Q1.
    – How does traditional underpainting work? If I paint, say a skin color in a thicker way over the black underpainting, it would lighten the black. Wouldn’t that be losing value information? If one spends a lot of time on the underpainting that would be scary.
    Q2:
    – I paint over the black and white painting in a ‘color’ blend mode layer, which is what I’ve been doing, it will colorize the values. I control the transparency of paint with my touch pressure. But sometimes it makes some areas grey if not treated with care. For example, orange on a dark midtone would seem grey orange and not brown. I don’t like this. How could I avoid this?
    – I’ve read that each color has a value and if you don’t put the right saturation and hue on that value, that’s the reason why you would get the grey areas
    Q3.
    – It overwhelms me to think of painting directly in color because you have to think of hue saturation lightness all at once. Could you please touch on how to learn to think of all this at once, if I were to paint on the iPad from life?

Arjun

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Arjun,

I will do my best to answer this in Monday’s podcast.

Matt

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.