The angles technique

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message The angles technique

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Arjun Khode
    Participant

Hi Matt. Anthony Ryder’s block in method teaches connecting a few vertices and disregarding any part of the underlying figure that might stick out of that envelope, initially.
    – So if we are dealing with say, the brow to the chin, he will first connect them with a straight line, disregarding all the other indentations that might fall inside or outside of that line, like the cheek kicking out or the eye pushing in. What’s the benefit in doing this, because it does not conform with the actual contour, and we can’t really see that line on the model if we are drawing from life. Is it worth remembering that imaginary line, as opposed to just drawing angles along the contour?
    Until now, I used to think that we are supposed to stick to the contour and not let any part of the silhouette spill out. I also used to think that to make the most out of a construction line, we always put it in where it would form a tangent or where a key feature would begin or terminate or where an intersection might occur. His lines go ‘through things’, instead. I know that it works but I want to know the logic behind it?

Here is an abridged explanation for reference:
    http://www.theryderstudio.com/instruction/the-block-in.html

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Arjun,

Great question for Monday’s podcast. Looking forward to it.

Matt

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.