Ask Questions For The Podcast Here.

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Ask Questions For The Podcast Here.

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Erik Lodin
    Participant

Yes Marty!

I agree that it must take a lot of skill (through lots of practice) to do something like this. But I’ve seen artist do similar paintings in a matter of minutes. Whenever I try it looks pretty childish.
    As in the attached painting…
    You’re a really talented digital artist Marty. Maybe you can give me some pointers? Do you think my choice of brush is poor? I’m thinking of trying a brush with some “noise” in it to give me some default texture.

Thanks!

/Erik

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matthew
    Keymaster

Erik,

I will talk about this in Monday’s podcast. Great questions. I’ve got some good answers for you.

Matt

Marty Kulma
    Participant

Hey Erik,

I am happy to share what i’ve learned about digital painting. Question is, what are you trying to accomplish?

If you want to add texture a textured brush is one way, another is texture layer. If you find a texture you like – you can make it gray scale, adjust levels to limit it to mostly mid-tones and use an overlay blending mode for the layer. Add a opacity layer mask to control where the texture shows through (should be most prominent in the mid-tones). If you are going to use a textured brush – remember to slightly vary the saturation+value or hue+value

If you are looking to make the edges more random (less like cel shading), a texture brush can help – and so can adjusting the opacity & size of your brush followed by multiple passes at the edges (the penumbra and the shadow edge ) – this will make your edges less defined without making them look like cotton. I’d recommend setting the opacity some in the 20% – 50% range and make the brush size pressure dependent. You have to experiment a little to see where the opacity range you are comfortable.

Looking at your image, it looks like you already use hard-edge brushes. I recommend sticking to them. I find soft brushes are good for minor work at the end – like depending shadows, making a “glow” from a highlight or using a blending effect to adjust chroma/saturation (overlay, color dodge, etc.)

good experimenting!

Erik Lodin
    Participant

Thank you Matt and Marty!

I look forward to the podcast on Monday.

Good idea with the texture layer, Marty. Haven’t though about that.
    But I especially appreciate the talk about brushes. Lately I have used 100% opacity with a hard-edge round brush with size set to pressure sensitivity. And yes, I’m a bit afraid of the cotton look but I guess I could try to lower the opacity a bit and see what happens.

I’ll start experimenting. 🙂

/Erik

Jennifer Foster
    Participant

Hi Matt,

Finally getting my feet wet on the forums. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to photograph finished artwork? I’ve tried this with different cameras/phones in different lighting and angles, indoors/outdoors. So far I haven’t seemed to be able to figure out how to get a good photo. They come out distorted or looking washed out.

Thanks!

Lori Marshall
    Participant

Help … the reference photo for drawing accurate shapes is missing. Can I use a different image?

Matthew Archambault
    Participant

I just fixed it on Saturday.

Lisa Hamilton
    Participant

`Hi, I didn’t disappear. I was having trouble with the paintings I was doing. I didn’t feel right. I think I had a block, but I’m ok now, maybe I will finish them later. I did like 3 paintings but it just didn’t come out the way I wanted. I do think I need help with style. I am all over the place. although I did pick out one thing for now, I just hate being in a box. That may help me though. Anyway, I think I found what I want to do for now. so next week I will have something to show.

Lori Marshall
    Participant

A senior member in my life drawing class suggested I stand at an easel to draw so I could loosen up. How does one loosen up and not loose proportion? Please advise Matt, or direct me to the answer to this question if you have answered it in the past. I have attached the drawing I did last night. I spent 45 minutes on it.

I guess my photo is too large to upload 🙁

Lori Marshall
    Participant

I think this resize will work.

David Wade
    Participant

Matt,
    In order to get some life drawing in, I thought I’d try drawing my portrait using a mirror. The mirrors in my house are on walls. Could you please advise on where I should put myself or how to approach this as I will not be able to look directly at my reflection and drawing without significant head movement.
    I would like to get this right as I really struggle with front facing portraits and cannot attend life classes.
    Hope that makes sense.
    David

Jackie Stone
    Participant

I struggle a lot with what to put in the background of a painting. In black and white pieces reverse gradation is a really great option. But when it comes to color I feel the choices are endless. Contrast in value, gradation, representational or abstract? And how do you know WHAT STINKING COLOR(s) to choose?! I’d love to know how you decide to fill a background? What’s your process for this? Thanks for your thoughts!

Jackie

Matthew Archambault
    Participant

Amanda,

Listen to this weeks podcast. Sorry it took too long to get back to you.

Matt

Matthew Archambault
    Participant

Lisa,

I will address this in this weeks member podcast.

Matt

Matthew Archambault
    Participant

David,

Listen to tonight’s member podcast.

Matt

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.