Style or Subject?

Dashboard Forums Drawing Questions Style or Subject?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Felipe Menezes
    Participant

I have two questions about the last lesson of style course. First, I do believe that dive deep in one or maybe two styles is the path to achieve consistency and make your own brand. I don’t know how the art market works, but I guess that are two ways of incoming: produce art by your own desire and put it for sale, or be hired to do a specific piece. In this last one, I believe that your style is the main reason to hire you than other artist. I mean, someone wants to have a piece of art in your style. But, Is it common or usual that someone hires you to do a piece of art in other style? Just because you are an artist and should be able to produce art at least in a sort of traditional styles. The other question is about subject. Is it the choosen subjects a part of the style?

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Felipe,

Great questions. I will answer them in Monday’s podcast. I appreciate your patience.

Matt

Arjun Khode
    Participant

Hi Felipe and Matt, I would like to share an instance where last year, I was approached by a friend to paint in a particular, different style. She wanted a cartoon of herself for her youtube channel and gave me two cartoons as style references. She wanted me to combine those two cartoon styles and produce a cartoon of her. I did not have a style of my own at that time and I did several drawings for her, but she never liked any of them. That’s fine, but what I’d like to stress is how much of a headache it was to emulate those styles and it really hurt my ego when she criticized my work. My drawing did not make it and she hired someone else to do the job and they did it much worse than me in my opinion, but who am I to judge. I decided after that event that I would never paint for someone if they are going to ask for changes the way my friend did. Now I know it was probably just because, it was not my style and that put me in the underdog position.

Felipe Menezes
    Participant

Hi Arjun!! Thank you for share your experience. I think that trying to do something that is not your natural or trained way to do it, could spoil the result and make it seens very artificial.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.