Style and process courses

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Style and process courses

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ann Marie Soranno
    Participant

Hi Matt,
    I’ve watched both of these courses and I am fighting over which medium to use for painting, watercolor or acrylic. I’ve been debating over this for months. I took one weekend and did an acrylic painting and a watercolor painting. Both of them came out terrible but I learned something about myself. I really enjoy painting with watercolor. When I was painting with acrylics, I found myself fighting with the paints and walking away from the painting angry whenever I took a break. When I went back to the painting I would just get frustrated and fought my way through the painting. After awhile I just called it quits and started my watercolor painting. That painting came out terrible too but I just loved working with watercolor. To sum it up it was very relaxing for me. Oh I got frustrated when the painting didn’t come out the way I wanted it to but the process of watercolor is just easy for me. I know it is one of the hardest medium to work with but there is something about it that makes it easy for me.

But I still feel that I should work with Acrylics because it is more opaque and lightfast then watercolor and my story is that it will be easier to sell acrylic paintings over watercolor paintings. This is probably not true but my story is tough to break because I like oil and acrylic paintings, I just don’t like the painting process. Any suggestions on how to break my story so that I stop argue with myself. I really need to focus on developing drawing and watercolor painting skills.

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Ann Marie,

I forgot to mention I addressed your post in this past Monday’s podcast.

Matt

Scott Shulman
    Participant

Matt,
    What is the principle behind the “keep detail out of shadows” rule? How would you suggest- adhering to this— tackling a photo where most or all of the interesting info is in on the dark side (and the light side is contrasted out or has boring texture?)
    Scott

Scott Shulman
    Participant

Here’s an example of what I’m thinking of…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Scott Shulman
    Participant

So sorry I meant this

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.