Storytelling

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jack Schnnitzius
    Participant

Hi All,
    I cam across this article on Artist’s Daily (it’s a free website, so I don’t think I’m infringing any copyright) about storytelling. I found it inspiring in that in looking at my individual work in the past, there is/was no real story telling. More like a snapshot of a pretty place or person (I paint landscape and portraits). This article gave me the idea to create in the future with an idea of building a story or retelling one well known. Thus, it will be one of my controlling art goals for 2018. Maybe this is what Matt means when he refers to a ‘body of work’ and I’m sure the idea is well known by the illustrators among us. Anyway, I thought I’d share. Hare a Blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas season.
    Jack

Telling a Story on Canvas

Alexander Shunko
    Participant

Hello, Jack!

Nice article, thanks! Well, it seems that there is something I can offer…

If you are unsure with concept for your works and want to reinforce it a little bit, try to throw away the photographs (for a while, maybe for month or two). Then the story comes naturally, just because without the photo reference you are forced to stay connected with your real life, your own town, your family, your real friends and their real interests. Without the modern technology you start working just like the artists of the past would do: life becomes a main subject in art. And, in contrast of a photo, life is moving and changing!

To draw a person from a photograph and to draw the same person from life is a whole different experience. People will talk to you, they will provide you a lot of creative information to work with. And every life drawing session tends to hint the next subject of work.

If you work from the imagination, this principle works too. Because the situation where you have no chance to rely on photographs makes you constantly regret of all the real world scenes that you was unable to draw quickly, about all the objects that changed since your last drawing session… And instead of copying the look of an objects, you start realizing how the life goes. You will feel the time going through your works.

It is ok to use the photo reference for studies while you learn, but in terms of the “body of work”… I’d not to use them at all.

Peace,
    Alexander.

Jack Schnnitzius
    Participant

Thanks, Alexander
    To advance my story, I’ve long been in love with the poems of Robert Frost. I’ve decided to ‘illustrate’ one of his poems each month for the year 2018. There will be no actual photo to copy, only the imagination or scene the poem generates. I will probably rely on some photo references as part of this process for the different elements in the painting, but will mostly rely on my interpretation of the poem.
    Thanks again for your input.
    Blessings,
    Jack

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.