Still life challenge – mood

Dashboard Forums Off Topic RSS Still life challenge – mood

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Donna D
    Participant

Hi Matt, I am inspired by this still life painting and want to try to imitate the mood. I set up an arrangement (see photos) and did an initial oil under painting in raw umber. I haven’t completed all the tutorials in PTO, so excuse me if I’m asking a redundant question, but how can I capture the mood of the reference painting? How do I get my colors to have the same warm grey tone throughout the painting?
    Thanks in advance, Donna

Donna D
    Participant

2nd try to upload images

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Donna,

In short you have to have that warm dull brown in every color. One color in every color is the key. Stay away from highly chromatic color pure out of the tube.

Also make sure you leave room for a super dark as well as a bright light.

I can talk more to this in the podcast.

Donna D
    Participant

Thanks, Matt. I watched the podcast. I’m wondering if you ever had problems when you start mixing Burnt Umber with Titanium White. I had a painting teacher who forbade mixing earth pigments with white. She said that it causes “bloom”. I’ve had some bad results myself with that combination. Donna

Matthew
    Keymaster

Donna,

I’ve definitely mixed burnt umber with white. However if that doesn’t work for you use another color. I would do an experiment to see if that actually happens on a scrap board.

What I loved so much about burnt umber was that it dried so fast. Therefore I mixed it in just about every part of my paintings.

I would just steer clear of using any white in the dark middle tones and darks. You can consider lighting the burnt umber via the board by applying the paint translucently.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.