Roberto Ferri Translucency

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Roberto Ferri Translucency

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Arjun Khode
    Participant

Hi Matt, I’ve been observing skin in real life and also in Roberto Ferri’s paintings. I observed in real life that veins are visible in most people, this is a great opportunity to show translucency of skin.

In Roberto Ferri’s paintings, I observed a lot of red-green contrast in the skin. When is it appropriate to show green? And where is it appropriate to show veins? Do you think he only draws the veins he actually sees in the model or does he make them up?

His elbows and knees are often red. Could you talk about redness of skin in terms of subsurface scattering? In what kind of situations will skin appear red and when to show the warmth of blood color underneath for translucency?

I’ve been trying to search for subsurface scattering on youtube but all I could find were paintings of grapes and liquids. These things pass the light to the other side all the way. But in skin we have bones and I’m not sure how that would work. One person wrote that when light is 90 degrees to the plane of the skin it is more prominent. When is red too much and is it better to have too much or too less of it in general?

– Arjun

Matthew
    Keymaster

Arjun,

I did my best to answer your questions in tonight’s podcast.

Regards,

Matt

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.