Quarter Profile Problem

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Quarter Profile Problem

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Craig Warner
    Participant

Hey Matt, I promised to do something with real pencil on real paper, just to make sure I wasn’t cheating myself, and I did the attached. I’m getting very slightly better at creating a likeness, but this drawing was better earlier, and I ruined it. And his hair looks like a swimming cap! I realised what I think Ingres said — to achieve likeness, you slightly caricature the strange elements of a face, the elements that make them look like them. This guy’s nose is one-of-a-kind, and his skull shape looks very boxy. So it should have been easy to get a likeness. But here’s my big problem: I have done one after the other after the other which are a quarter turned, and the drawings look straight on. I don’t know how that’s possible, given that I’m meant to be copying shapes! But I can’t seem to do a quarter profile, if that’s what it’s called. Any tips would be enormously helpful! Cheers, Craig

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Craig Warner
    Participant

And here’s another digital one. I’m aware not to choose a photograph with two sources of light.

Attachments:
    Craig Warner
    Participant

This time it’s another quarter profile but how come you can’t see my fat chin? I didn’t do that deliberately, honest.

Attachments:
    Craig Warner
    Participant

And here is the drawing, another pencil on paper so totally honest, but my box head ain’t got no dimension, it’s just flat. Even Alex has more depth than me.

Attachments:
    Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Craig,

I addressed the three-quarter portrait in your critique this week. It will be posted on Monday afternoon. I think it will really help you.

If there are not too many questions for the podcast this week, I will address these in the podcast.

Matt

Craig Warner
    Participant

Thanks Matt o Keymaster!
    I also submitted a more successful quarter profile to the Critique Gallery, as I didn’t expect you to bring this stuff over to the critique. That picture is pretty good. These are terrible! Yikes, I’m slightly embarrassed by how bad I am, especially the self-portrait above. I know we’re meant to improve, and I’m working hard at it (well as hard as I can, given the mountain of writing I have to get through), but my portrait of young Alex on the Critique Gallery starts to show that improvement. Anyway, it’s all very useful, and I’ve never stuck with drawing for this long, and it’s a testament to your website and the way you run it that I’m reminaining engaged and determined to improve.
    Thanks for everything Matt. What do you think of the Loomis Technique? Is it balderdash? Hope you had a nice break.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.