Promoting contrast and suggestions on relevant illustrators

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Promoting contrast and suggestions on relevant illustrators

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Heidi Søholm
    Participant

Hi Matt,
    At present I struggle to “adapt” my visual vocabulary/area/style (do not know how to say it in English) to what my teachers suggest me. They encourage me to widen my field of expression to be more contrasty (as to gain more depth), have more line variation and be more daring/bold/cheeky. My problem is that as I add black to my pieces (as per suggestion) they tend to get gloomy or “dirty” looking. I find it difficult to make a bright picture while adding contrasts. How do you do it? I fascinated by light but have a hard time with shadows even though I know that they are what promotes light in a piece, right?

Another thing; Do you have some examples of illustrators or cartoonists who does this well? Preferably illustrators for children’s’ books and preferably using watercolor or the like.

I myself tend towards drawing sweet, nostalgic, idyllic and light pieces, but I would like to expand. How do I do it? How do I “bend” my “style” and develop?

Thanks for your time.
    Heidi

Matthew Archambault
    Participant

Heidi,

Listen to tonight’s podcast.

Matt

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.