Plod on or wastepaper basket?

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Plod on or wastepaper basket?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Hi Matt,

I caught a cold, which plays havoc with my concentration. Makes me wonder what you do when a drawing seems to work out but suddenly starts slipping from your fingers at a certain point. Do you plod on, for success is right round the corner? Or throw it away?
    I tried leaving it alone for two days, didn’t help.
    I measured, refigurated, seen that angles were/are off, dropped eyes, raised lips and measured some more: still didn’t work.
    Won’t upload for critique for there is too much wrong with it, attached as a reference (and testament of my frustration!).

Thanks for your enthusiasm on my drawing from last week, made my day!
    Regards,
    Marjan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

I love the eyes, I think they look stunning even though you say they are off. I think you can still save it! May I ask you where you found this reference photo? I saw a similar once on this page with someone having a book on the head, I would love to try and draw something like those some day. 🙂

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

@Linn: I take these pictures myself to use as a reference for drawing and painting. The one with the book is mine too …

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I see 🙂 Like the references. I think you could tweak the drawing and make it look stunning.

* Move the bridge of the nose slightly to the right with an eraser
    * Make the lower lip a tad smaller
    * Accentuate the cheekbone a little bit, like if you could contour your face with makeup
    * Add the baggy part of HER left eye to make it look more realistic
    * Make her chin/neck area slightly larger to the left in the image
    * Make the background dark and lose some edges
    * Change the shape of her neck-collar-thingee 🙂
    * Make the pupil in HER right eye slightly larger

Still in love with her right eye though!

Cara Harder
    Participant

You’re selling yourself short! Yes some of the dimensions are a tad off, but keep at it. Even if you don’t get the exact result you were hoping for, it’s great practice. The drawing is still great, too!

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Thanks Linn and Cara!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.