Nina's Journal

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Nina's Journal

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nina Willebois
    Participant

Hi I’m new here and have decided to share my progress with all of you. First maybe a little bit about myself:

I’m Nina I live in the Netherlands and work as a graphic designer. I studied two years of fine arts only to realize graphic design was more for me. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to stop drawing or improving. So after years of not really drawing anymore I have decided to join Matts amazing classes, years ago I bought one of his dvd’s which improved me more than one whole semester at fine art uni. So as he mentioned in one of his how to of this site I’m going to focus on one aspect op drawing each week and by the end of each month have a completed actual piece. I hope. So here goes nothing my first piece; the vintage flower girl. I used Procreate on the iPad pro with an Apple pencil, as I travel alot on the train I found this easier to work with.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Hi Nina,
    Welcome to DTO!
    Your vintage drawing look nice. I saw that you have already added it to the critique. 🙂
    Looking forward to see more drawings in the sketchbook and in the critique department.

Nina Willebois
    Participant

Thank you Linn!

Here is another sketch I did today. 🙂 I can’t draw hands any tips?

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

great sketch Nina, and welcome 🙂

As for the hands, based on my experience you may want to start by treating the hands like they are just a big shape (like they have mittens on) – try to get the overall shape of the hand, then diving in and suggesting the fingers. I say suggesting because even though the fingers are separate, they often have similar values and when you squint at them – the fingers tend to disappear.

Nina Willebois
    Participant

Thank you Marty!

I was struggling a bit and then remembered the shadow shape technique, which I tried to do here. Which uses the squint and see the different values of shades and then just draw those instead of thinking they are fingers which helped a lot, but still not there yet. I guess this is when the hours of hard work will pay off.

I’v started another sketch image but haven’t finished it yet.

Attachments:
    Nina Willebois
    Participant

Completely forgot to post my progress. So here it is.

Attachments:
    Nina Willebois
    Participant

Another two, and saw that I completely forgot to add my name when I uploaded the girl!

Attachments:
    Nina Willebois
    Participant

Woe falling behind on my posts again so here is my work from the last couple of weeks:

Attachments:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.