New to the site? Let us know a little about yourself.

Dashboard Forums Introduce Yourself RSS New to the site? Let us know a little about yourself.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Matthew
    Keymaster

The people who sign up to DTO are so diverse. Every member offers something unique. Give us a little history about yourself. Why did you join?

Michael Piltingsrud
    Participant

Hi! My name is Melanie. I have been on the old DTO site for a couple of years, and am now delving into the new site. I am 39 and am usually a professor of German language and literature, but I am currently taking some extended time off after the birth of my son. I started drawing “seriously” at the ripe age of 8 when my Dad felt sorry for me drawing on lined paper, and bought me an “Artist’s Sketch Diary.” It was all uninformed, undisciplined drawing though until I stumbled across DTO, and then the real fun began. There’s so much on this website that I always wanted to know. Cheers!

Lex Juszczakiewicz
    Participant

Oh well, hello!
    I have totally zero experience in drawing, so it’s all pretty intimidating. I study Computer Science, I love reading and I fell in love with one of video games. There is just enough content and I want to be able to contribute to a fanbase. It will be a long but exciting road.

Doug Allison
    Participant

Hi all! I’m new to the site, with absolutely zero experience in drawing or art. I’ve had a lifelong desire to learn how to draw and DTO seems like a great resource. I’m full-time+ in the technology industry so my time for drawing will be competing with the never-ending need to stay current with technology. I don’t have anything to post for online critique at the moment, but I hope to have something soon. My goal is one to two critiques per month.

Thanks!

Lesha Prasad
    Participant

Namaskaram from India!
    I’m 24. A student from the University of London. I do not know much about art, I’ve been following a few wonderful artists on youtube; my knowledge therefore is limited to what’s available from there. I travel a lot and wanted to express my experiences through art. I do not yet know how I’m going to do that, however I wanted to start somewhere; so here I am.

Misty Huckstead
    Participant

My name is Misty. I have always liked art but had no lessons and little time. My youngest is now is school and I am home full time because of some health issues I’m working through. I am so glad to have found this site and hope to grow and learn to be an artist. It has always been something I’ve dreamed of doing.

Tyler Alexander
    Participant

Hey everyone. My name is Tyler. I am in the Air Force and have been for the last 13 years. I love to draw and come from what I would call an artistic family. Took a lot of art in High School, then stopped for a little while and recently transitioned to finishing my degree in Graphic Arts. I am just starting to pick back up the pencil and hoping to one day transition to oil paints. I just posted one of my current drawings in the critique gallery after watching the “start here” videos. Looking forward to learning from everyone and following Matt on this crazy journey we call art.

Cynde Herman
    Participant

Hi all… Just signed up. Very new to drawing. Been taking an in person drawing class once per week but it does not seem enough. I want to practice every day so looking for more opportunities to get better and better! I live in southern california and work full time so have limited drawing time in the evenings. I spend time drawing and learning on the weekends.

Hamida Arezowyee
    Participant

My name is Hamida. I am from Germany and I am 56 years old.

I am pretty much a beginner.

Facing challenges like having to work in a fulltime job and caring for my disabled elderly mother makes progress not easy. Right now I focus on establishing the habit to at least practice drawing each and every day.

I have been wanting to learn drawing for such a long time and always there are some “reasons” why right now the time is anything but ideal to start something new. So I thought why not start now nevertheless – despite all the obstacles.

Perhaps (most probably) I cannot progress as fast as I wish but if I won’t start at all I will definitely not progress at all.

Michael Pagano
    Participant

Hello everyone!

A couple of months ago I took a Disney Cruise with my wife and kids. While on the ship we took part in a few of the character drawing shows. These short classes sparked my interest again in wanting to learn to draw.
    Was trying to use the Charles Bargue book that was recommended by a friend, but have I been struggling with it. I just posted a photo of one of the drawings I did from that book in the critique gallery.

Excited to be here!
    – Michael Pagano

Madison Hughes
    Participant

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Madison. Residing in Monterey, California, I am a self-taught artist since November 2015. My artistic passion is drawing with any dry medium including graphite, pastel, colored pencil, and charcoal. I also enjoy pen & ink drawing, and have an interest in, but have never attempted, acrylic palette knife painting. My aim is to capture the essence of a subject in portraiture, figure, animal, or still life drawing. My favorite drawing styles includes tenebrism, sanguine, and pen & ink.

My very short personal drawing journey goes something like this. At the end of 2015, I checked out a book from my local library titled, “Drawing A Likeness” by Douglas R. Graves, 1979. There are about fifty portraits in the book, and I decided to attempt to draw every one of them until I figured out this thing called portraiture. I ended up drawing about forty-six. I then went on a Leonardo da Vinci kick drawing about ten of his drawings. I finished off 2016 with more Douglas R. Graves drawings. In 2017 I became an active member of Darrel Tank’s Five Pencil Method Online art studio. Also using Pinterest, Pixabay, Usplash, and Pexels for reference photos I drew many (over fifty) tenebrist portrait drawings. In 2018 I joined the ArtTutor Online studio where I am still currently an active member. It was in May of 2018 that I stumbled upon an excellent book by William L. Maughan titled, “The Artist’s Complete Guide to Drawing the Head” 2004. This was the book that gave me the aha moment of “seeing” the critical concept of shadow shapes. I also used this book’s drawings as reference drawings for over thirty sanguine portrait drawings. In early 2019 I purchased Stan Prokopenko’s Portrait Drawing, Figure Drawing, and Anatomy for Artists courses, and have passively participated in each. I am also a member of Kirsty Partridge, and Lineke Lijn’s Patreon. So here I find myself in the Spring of 2019 beginning another chapter in this drawing journey titled, Drawing Tutorials Online; where I look forward to the wonderful figure, and portrait drawing tutorials of Matt Archambault.

I am from New Orleans, Louisiana. As a scholarship cadet, I completed the Army ROTC program at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, Louisiana where I received my commission as a U.S. Army Officer in 1986. I served as an Army aviator until I retired from the Army Reserve in 2009 after twenty-three years of service. My passion for drawing derived from the introduction of art therapy as a coping mechanism for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Currently, I am employed with the Department of Defense, where I plan to retire in the next four years. My other interests include reading Art Theory/History, Mythology, Psychology, Poetry–and my absolute favorite subject–Philosophy. I find my greatest joy sharing my life with my wife Jackie.

Jennifer Lee
    Participant

Hi I am Jen, I studied art in college as an 18 year old for 4 years and took some good fundamental art classes but I largely quit drawing for a long period of time. I always wanted to focus on painting but now I have come full circle back to drawing. I hope to pick up the hobby again and practice as much as possible. I am very interested in creating painted environments with watercolours or digital art too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.