My member journal journey continued

Dashboard Forums Members Journal My member journal journey continued

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 184 total)
  • Author
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Nice, great to see the proces through the lines where you look for the measurements.

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Thank you, glad you like it ?

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Kept watching “Pencil on paper” (35 min)

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Kept watching “Portrait painting 5.2” (8min)

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Kept watching “Portrait painting 5:2” (13min)

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Kept watching “Eakins masterclass” (53min). Really feel like doing the suggested studies! 🙂

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Kept watching “Portrait painting 5:2” (17min)

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Finished watching the inspiring Eakins masterclass, started watching the Waterhouse masterclass (4min)

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Finished watching “Portrait painting 5:2” Great, inspiring video, as always.

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Kept watching Waterhouse masterclass (18min). One of the very good things about the masterclasses is that even if you’re familiar with the artist, you discover new amazing paintings that you haven’t seen before. As well as finding details and gaining compositional understanding of ones you already thought you knew rather well.

These are so good and contain so much inspiration and valuable lessons that they really could – and should – be watched from the start once they’re finished.

Wish Matt and the DTO community a great weekend

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Kept watching “Pencil to paper” (38min)

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Finally time to post a finished drawing.

Thoughts, digital portrait request I finished today

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Very nice!
    Small point: perhaps you could tweak the right side of his head? The contrast is very high with his bangs, so for me it doesn’t turn but is a bit ‘chopped off’ as it were.

Marty Kulma
    Participant

great expression! have you considered the competing hard edges (hair and background, shoulder and background)? maybe soften one or both?

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Marjan and Marty. This one is post-adjusted and done, but you are both absolutely right, that “high contrast hair” does distract. I will keep that in mind for the next one. Probably would be a good rule-of-thumb to always soften hair edges, as the focal point tends to be the features.

Great reminder, I remember James Gurney talked about this in one of his books – “soften all edges that don’t have to be hard” on a painting. But obviously, I forgot it here. Believe I pushed the contrast some in the post-adjustment process as well.

Started watching “Portrait painting 5:3”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 184 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.