While I would love to join one of your drawing classes at the Met, that just isn’t possible for me at this time. However, there is a museum close to where I live that houses some incredible paintings from William Bouguereau, Jean Leon Gerome, Jehan Georges Vibert, Albert Bierstadt, and others. I would love to copy from these masters, but I have some questions about copying masterworks:
1) What do I learn from doing copies? Or…Why do copies in the first place?
2) When you lead groups of students into the museum to do these copies and studies, what advice do you give them?
3) How do I maximize my learning in doing these copies?
4) Should I have a strategy going in…like, draw hands and feet only, or torsos only, or faces only?
5) What should I be aware of, or prepared for, going into the museum to do copies?
I’ve added some of the paintings that this museum holds.