Marty's Sketchbook

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Marty's Sketchbook

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

Thanks Marjan! as places go, it might be more of a junk yard – but i do find some gems in there every so often 😀

My latest work in progress! Danielle Colby is on a show called Pickers, apparently also was a burlesque dancer.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

usually i don’t keep my “practice” sketches around, but i had saved this and came across it. i use them whenever i need to get a better understanding of a part – in this case, the colby pinup hand resting on the hip..

this has been resized to post here – it was originally much larger because i like to be messy when doing these. More lines makes it easier to see the right ones – at least for me. no idea if that makes any sense to anyone else

the sketches look ok, i feel confident, but just failed to render it – that’s where i fail without good reference.

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

1st sketch of the new year!! i think i’ll name it “attack with a letter opener”

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Love the hands. I want to learn to confidently draw hands, keep putting it off because I ‘failed’ a few times. Chicken!!
    And the letter opener is scary, what is your reference re letter openers???

Marty Kulma
    Participant

thanks Marjan! Well don’t give in! I find negative shapes can really help getting those fingers situated 😉

Some had reference to give you a start: http://senshistock.deviantart.com/art/50-Hand-Challenge-Pack-244-Hand-References-348847368

The reference for the lady in the dress is here -> http://tris-marie.deviantart.com/art/Warrior-Stock-2-655086481

She’s holding something that looks like a jian (tai chi sword). But i was rushing and made it shorter – and i think it looks like one of those dagger letter openers 😀

Marty Kulma
    Participant

on a Dio kick – i think i listened to rainbow in the dark a dozen times today

quick sketch – this time with big brushes — all shapes and texture

Attachments:
    Nina Willebois
    Participant

Oh wow your burlesque dancer is amazing! Great job! Really enjoy seeing all your different styles. Keep up the good work in the new year. 🙂

Marty Kulma
    Participant

Thanks Nina 😀 i saw that pose and instantly it clicked with me – isn’t it great when that happens? I don’t know what 2017 will bring me, but i’ll be ready for it.

Today i tried to do just big brushes as before, but i felt like i was trying to walk through a brick wall. Switched to a little pencil brush and everything just clicked into place. so i realize that at heart i like making lines …. lots of lines.. millions of lines 🙂

and this is what i have so far…

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

once you get a puppy, you start to wonder – what

have

i

done

… i haven’t had much time besides puppy, work, sleep, eat, clean

but i’m back! at least partly – until i can figure out a schedule for this crazy new life. I can’t wait to catch up, see what you’ve all been up.

Today – back to sketching

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Haha, know the feeling (though puppy’s are worse, mine was a new kitten). Enjoy! Perhaps if the puppy falls asleep you could draw it for our entertainment and triggering our cute-button??
    As always: love your work. I love all the anatomy you show – that’s on my (very long) to do list, getting really good at anatomy so I can incorporate that freely, like you do.
    Keep on switching in the brushes, it will only make you better!

Marty Kulma
    Participant

thanks Marjan 🙂 focusing on anatomy every so often is a great exercise – of course then i spent a lot of time learning when/what anatomy to show 😀

i might get a chance to do some sketches of him – for now the little guy seems to have 2 modes: curl up into a ball of fur or constantly on the move

Marty Kulma
    Participant

value studies and into some initial colors

i think i need to move the moon – not a big deal, artists move planets all the time 😀

Attachments:
    Magnus Burén
    Participant

Great start on the last one. What would happen if you let the moon “frame” the character, keeping it inside the edge of the image?

I believe Frazetta does that in his famous moonlight painting (can’t remember name) – you probably know which one:
    https://goo.gl/images/Gxspzl

Your ambitious posting is very inspiring 🙂

Marty Kulma
    Participant

Thanks for sharing that Magnus! That piece is called Moon’s Rapture and as soon as i saw it, something dawned on me. A moon doesn’t fit in my image. My composition is off.

Frazetta’s piece has the figure in the mid-ground against a large moon which is working because there is a while figure there. Mine has partial figure and the figure is in the foreground – so i erased the moon!

i think it works much better even at this rough stage

Attachments:
    Magnus Burén
    Participant

I agree, it looks great! Really like how the background resembles the eye sockets of a skull. Thanks for reminding me of the name (I only have the second Frazetta collection book “Legacy”, I believe this one was included in the first one)
    . Well done ??

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.