Marjan's Sketchbook

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Marjan's Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Applied the sharp contrasts from the Trompe l’oeil drawings to this portrait. The smallest I have ever worked, only 10cm wide and 18 cm high ( in inches 4″x7″). Unfortunately my camera didn’t capture the details in the face very well, have to try again (not today though). Perhaps the contrasts are too great. Ah well …

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Doing extensive studies before I put a brush to canvas is somthing I have learned from Matt these past months. It really helps me, and I grow in confidence accordingly. Before, every piece I worked on had to be ‘the finished product’. Now, I can enjoy the process of preparations and feel the merit of doing ‘tight sketches’. Here are my studies of Annemarie, my dear old friend (both in years lived and metaphorically). Never thought I would enjoy wrinkles as much as I did this past week 😉

Attachments:
    Louis Lynch
    Participant

Wow! This is impressive work! I never met her, but I still feel like I can get a sense of what meeting her would have been like. That smile, and the sparkle in the eye… good job.

Marty Kulma
    Participant

fantastic job capturing her character!! she looks like my grandmother 🙂

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Haven’t posted for a while, too busy painting 🙂
    I’m working towards an exhibition, my first! I’m on a roll with my Four Seasons series – highs and lows combined, oh those elusive lines that constitute real likeness!! Plus my colours keep ‘sinking’. I don’t panic anymore because I now know this is part and parcel of working with glazes in oils.
    So a few of my finished paintings below. Any comments appreciated, I want to move forward!

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

great work! i wish you the best of luck in your exhibition!!

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Had a session today to take reference photo’s with my Spring model. She’s growing up too fast – quite the selfish thing to say, but I’m an artist so I’m allowed to say so 😉

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Two more

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Think I finished this one today. Incorporated Matt’s points of critique. Cropped the image a bit, for this is the dimension I will be framing the drawing in.

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Well done! 🙂 I hope to be able to frame some of my work some day.

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Applied Matt’s remarks to this drawing and deem it finishied!
    I’ve put an easy chair in my studio and now have a comfortable place to gaze at my works and leap up to make one or two marks every 5 minutes or so – in the finishing stages this is essential for my process I have found. Before, I only had my drawing stool, great when you’re sitting down to draw, less so for a nice nap 😉

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

forgot to resize the image, second attempt!

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Had a very nice and sunny plein air painting course this week! We painted in Nuenen, where I live, and visited two locations where van Gogh painted when he worked and lived in Nuenen.
    We as a group even made it to the regional newspaper! Me in my sunhat and one of my teachers are in the pic that went with the article.
    As a novice to plein air painting, I had a steep learning curve. I did studies in drawing and paint only, but am very pleased with my progress. Can’t wait to do it again!

Attachments:
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like a wonderful experience for you, Marjan. I often sketch outdoors but never feel ready for paint!

Cheers, Chris

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

I’ve been working towards my first exhibition, so haven’t uploaded for a few months. At long last, last weekend I showed my work for two days – a solo exhibition. Great fun, lots of compliments and admiration, great feedback from professionals too, and a lovely buzz with family, friends, acquiantances and ‘strangers’ all milling around.
    Now, I’m slowly winding down. Halfway through cleaning and rearranging my studio, all the while contemplating on how to start drawing again. My drawing muscles are a bit rusty 😉
    Here are some images, taken just before the opening.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.