Marjan's Sketchbook

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Marjan's Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Great work!
    I love the feel of her veil and the last drawing is just great. Well done! πŸ™‚

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Still playing with charcoal. Didn’t get all the measurements right, but achieved likeness nevertheless. Contemplating doing one of these in oils. But first a study of the flowers I think – lot of work! Might opt for an ‘impressionistic impression’ of the flowers as opposed to realism. Would that harm the painting?

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Forgot to resize the images, again …

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

I have the feeling that my drawings are a little distorted of late. I have asked Matt about this, hope he’ll gets to this in the memberblog. This most recent drawing has this slight ‘off kilter’ feel about it. And have to get back at the mouth/nose area, feels a bit like a ‘snout’ to me . Any suggestions welcome!

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

looks fabulous to me πŸ™‚ Do you feel the same about your drawing and the photo of it? Cameras with wide-angle lenses tend to distort the image (called barrel distortion If your camera can zoom (not digital zoom), then you can try moving the camera away from your picture and zooming in (will decrease or get rid of the distortion).

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Thanks Marty, will try the zooming-thing. The difference ‘live’ and while looking at the drawing is an issue sometimes, so might be the lens indeed.

And I re-measured the whole drawing. Found some flaws, despite having extensively measured before. Adjusted the height of my easel, but cannot think that would make so much difference. Ah well, muddling through …
    Thanks for the ‘fabulous’ though! πŸ˜‰

Louis Lynch
    Participant

Wow! I love your work. Great stuff.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Been revisiting a drawing I did a few months ago. I have learned so much, and I wanted to do this drawing afresh to see if I would be any better. And I am, hurrah! Still some areas I struggle, most of all the nose. Any feedback on that would be welcome!

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

Other than being a little soft, the nose looks spot on. As far as confidence goes, studying the planes of the nose made the difference for me. That way you look at the reference and understand what is casting shadows and where highlights go. It would be especially useful for images that are out of focus/blurry.

it requires drawing lots of noses πŸ˜€

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Haha Marty, you’re so right πŸ˜‰ Lots of noses yet to study!
    Studied those planes a few months ago, and that really made a lot of difference. Still find that I get muddled though. In this drawing I had the likeness very early on with the shadowshape of the nose. I was super proud! Only to find that in rendering the drawing I somehow had altered things and couldn’t quite get it spot on again, hence the softness you mentioned.

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Worked on this drawing after Matt’s critique. And yes, a nosejob was neccesary again!

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Have been painting, which takes (very much) longer as I work in glazes/thin layers. These two portraits are the fruits of all my labour these past few weeks! Love how I progress in catching a likeness, grumble about coming to grips with the materials (I’m new to oils and dilluted them too much – all the colour sinking in on me, argh!)

Attachments:
    Heidi SΓΈholm
    Participant

Hi Marjan πŸ™‚ I really like the clearness of the light in the first of your paintings. Thanks for showing them ^^

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Thank you Heidi πŸ™‚

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Happily drawing some Trompe l’oeil (illusions), just to do something else for a change. And learned a lot from it too re. extreme contrasts! Have put the first one up in my living room, and I have to say it’s rather gratifying when a friend comes in, wanders towards the drawing and asks what’s going on, why did I tear up the drawing πŸ˜‰

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.