Marjan's Sketchbook

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Marjan's Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

I love scrolling through all the journals and sketchbooks here, so decided to start one myself!

Worked on Raphael drawings this week. Aim is to up my portraiture skills.
    Measuring takes an awful lot of time, but I’m getting so much better at it by just sticking to this.
    Did this study in 2b pencil. I love how detailed I can work with pencil.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

And here’s the other figure from the same reference.
    Used a graphite stick, which makes it a more painterly approach.
    The choice between all the different materials available sometimes overwhelms me. So I have decided to stick to graphite (pencil and/or stick) and charcoal for the moment when doing a study or a fully rendered drawing.
    Decided to stop after 2 hours, for the goal was a study of convex lines

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Oh lord I love them! I would love to try out Raphael drawings some day.

Victor Beaumont
    Participant

Beautiful. I really like graphite or ink drawings. They can be so expressive. The old masters were in a league of their own.

Victor

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Thank you Linn and Victor for your kind words!
    Yes, I love the old masters. And I have had a soft spot for the PreRaphaelite painters for many years now, even when that was certainly ‘not done’. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that Matt shares my love of Waterhouse!
    Thought to share two pages from my sketchbook where I practiced the Bargue method of drawing. I found it quite difficult to learn how to copy a drawing. This method helped me a lot and I use it all the time! Combined with Matt’s approach I am now confident when copying.

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

And another Raphael study I did two weeks ago. Didn’t like how the red ColErase felt during this drawing, reason why I switched to graphite in the two drawing I posted earlier. Learned a lot from this study, all those conves lines!

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

You really are talented! I would love to be able to draw like this! 🙂 I much too stiff with my drawings and I hate it. But I am determent to try and be more loose with my drawings. I guess Rome wasn’t built in one or even ten years… :p

Anonymous
    Inactive

I love these Marjan. So beautiful.

Marty Kulma
    Participant

Marjan, the Raphael studies are wonderful – i especially love the last figure! I’m with Linn – i always struggle with making my drawings loose 😀

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Thank you Linn, Emilie and Marty!
    Every coin has two sides: whereas I can be loose in my drawings, often I struggle with being precise and using crisp lines!
    I have been a member at DTO since June 1st this year, and one of the major things I observe within myself is that I have become so much more patient and attentive when drawing (and painting later on). So now, more and more, I am abe to be both loose and precise, to observe when I’m being a perfectionist (getting stuck in details) and when I’m being slipshod (the flipside of loose drawing).

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I also feel that I gain more patience with these tutorials. At least the first one. I don’t think I’ve ever spent so many days on a drawing. I do hope to keep that patience, because I have always been very impatient and lose my tempter quite fast. Like most of my family members :p

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

In these last few months Matt has given me a lot of input. I’ve made a checklist so I don’t miss anything … if I remember to check the checklist of course 😉

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

The checklist …

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

That is smart! I have only downloaded the critiques and saved them so that I can re-watch them. But I should better write my own checklist. Surface planes will have a major role in it. I understand what they are but I have a hard time to implement them…

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Have made three studies in charcoal. I have been primarily painting for 2,5 months or so, and find my drawing is very painterly now! I love that I can be so loose and fluid. I have progressed a lot from my earliest drawing (started portrait drawing in earnest April this year, started DTO 1st of June).
    I adjusted the first drawing somewhat after Matt’s critique this week. Thinking of putting up the third one for critique – it has a Waterhouse-like quality, must be because of the copying of his drawings 😉

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.