Lucille's Sketchbook and Journal

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Lucille's Sketchbook and Journal

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Thanks for the support Marjan and Heidi : )
    I love looking through you guyses sketchbook postings too!! Very fun, encouraging and educational coming on the forums here. Currently trying to overcome my fear of having people see my drawings and sketches so it’s nice that we have this.

and dang cats – its hard to get anything done with them laying on the sketchbooks, ripping out the pages, eating various kinds of media, attacking my feet while I draw and being cats in my general space!!

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

44. I think this page is pretty self explanatory.

50, 51 – drawing along with the rough skeleton videos but goofing around with copic markers after the skeleton to see what happens when you fill them out with meat. I LOVE the copic original W0 maker cause it is super light and you can really make a mess and then just cover right over it. It’s got a nice tip and it’s as light as it possibly can be while still being visible. My heavy handedness with a pencil has been such an impediment and a frustration that I’ve had to make a decision – get stuck trying and failing and trying and failing to control my pencil and get NO sketching done or just say screw it, put a bandaid on it by letting the materials control the value and do a ton of sketching and get the millage on that. Maybe after a time and everything else improves, it will seem worth it to revisit the pencil. Or…. I will just paint stuff and use all my pencils to build a tiny bonfire.

52 – sometimes when I’m netflixing out in bed, I will pause it and do a sketch so I feel like I’m doing something. Ah, that proud moment when you’re snapping a photo of your sketchbook page and your i-phone recognizes the thing you just drew as a face ; ) I’m tempted to just draw a big walmart smiley face on a sheet of paper with two googly eyes and see if the i-phone camera picks that up as a face too… nah… I’ll just live in my cozy little world where my phone has just paid me a very nice complement and keep on sketchin : )

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Ugh. So I pretty much got some kind of respiratory infection on top of all my usual health crappiness and laid down and died for the last month. Seriously, it was so bad that I’m pleasantly surprised a month later that I’m walking around starting to look normal again – I thought I’d caught some kind of horrible virus that turns people into brain eating zombies.

I’m just in the last few days managing to get back to trying to draw and there has been a new development – I managed to for the first time ever do the gesture drawings to one of the online post videos WITHOUT cheating and pausing the video for 20 minutes lol. They’re not coming out great but I am getting more comfortable doing it and I’m spending more time drawing and less time yelling swears. I found a free website that will play you a slide show of gesture poses and you can choose the timing which is cool so I did that tonight. As I’ve filled sheets of newsprint, I’ve torn them off of my pad and thrown them down on the floor where Detective Jackson (my cat) has studiously seen fit to tear them to shreds for me. I think I like the system we’ve worked out.

What happens in the drawing room, stays in the drawing room.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great output and variety in your sketches, Lucille. Pen is my weapon of choice too, but I am too boring to go so colourful. I agree that this stuff has to be enjoyable.
    Keep playing, I say.

You mentioned a plane of the head model. Would that be an Asaro head?

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

thanks Chris : )

yep – it’s an Asaro head

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

53 – oh my gesture drawings are not great. But at least I’m getting more comfortable with doing them

57-58. I’m getting nothing done over here – but I did finally get around to trying out some of the supplies I got for dollhouse sized sketching. Ultimately, I want to do drawings and paintings this size but first I think I need to develop really solid drawing skills in full size and then figure out how to shrink them down. I screwed around drawing little cones and a teapot from my imagination just to see how tiny I could get them. Did a figure drawing from a photo.

I got some Andrew Loomis books and I started reading “Successful Drawing” the night before. Oh, and I finally got around to getting a bookshelf for the little library of instructional art (and dollhouse miniature making) books I’ve collected in the last year. Man, it’s a lot easier to find what I need now that they’re not all stacked up in various places throughout the house. It’s crazy how unmanageable the book situation was getting with no book shelf… I only have like 25 books total lol.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Man, I’ve been so busy at work that I haven’t been able to update in a while. Also, I’ve been beat since I’ve been going to life drawing sessions on Wednesdays for the last month. I usually get home from work around 5 am, don’t get to bed for a few hours yet after diner and a shower, and then have to be up by 9am to get to the sessions so it’s been killing me but it’s been good! The last two wednesdays, I’ve done two sessions in a day – I’ll go do one in the morning and then hang out in that part of town and eat dinner… then come back and do the evening session. I’m posting some pages – including a couple really horrible ones from the first life drawing session (don’t even look at those!)

I keep thinking since I’m busy at work that I”m not getting any drawing done… but last night I went through my sketchbook and realized that last wednesday, I made 31 attempts to draw the human figure – not bad for a day! I’m finally buckling down and working on the thing I know I need to work on the most – which is line and form. When I first starting posting on here, I had grounded myself from erasing – I was not allowed to use any erasable mediums for a while – I do think it helped tremendously because now I’ve gone to a terra cotta color col-erase pencil for life drawing and even though I do erase it isn’t bad like it was before where I was feeling like I was somehow doing more erasing than drawing. So now I’m not allowed to use tone for a while… we’ll see what happens!

59 – ug!! After a month long break from drawing while I was sick I’ve become horribly afraid of ‘ruining’ my sketchbook pages again and it’s been creating a real block when I go to sketch so to combat this, I got some stamps and now I just pre ruin the page in advance… heck, may as well sketch something on it now!

60 – there’s oranges and color pencils happening and I’m reading some Andrew Loomis

61 – I’ve never really tried color pencils seriously – I’m pretty happy with how it came out, even though I cheated with gauche for the reflection

63 – oh, god no, like don’t even look at this. first drawing I did from the live model at our open life drawing sessions here. yikes! And no, her butt was not dirty in real life!

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

65 – starting to figure out how I want to manage my time during life drawing

67 – what the heck is going on here? adding tone did not help me lol

77 – this dude model was so sweet! He’s been modeling at the studio the longest and it shows – he was really an expert poser!! The first girl I had to draw was 19 years old, rail thin, and wasted A LOT of session time changing her various ‘artsy’ head scarfs – OMG I WANTED TO SCREAM!!! And she never quite seemed sure what to do with herself – this dude though – posing machine!

79 – another random 3am impromptu life drawing moment with a client. Also, was very enthusiastic about posing for reference photos, so look forward to seeing what comes of those.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

82 – been checking out various books on figure drawing and getting frustrated cause reading has really never been my strong point

85 – damn you, George Bridgman. I have no idea what’s going on half the time. Is it just me?

88 – having a heck of a time with the online pose videos… I finally figure out the screen on my laptop is crap and got myself a better external monitor… soooo much better!! I’ll probably actually do them now that I can really see what’s going on in the photo

87 – oops, and then I started putting tone in.

Attachments:
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like you have been getting a fair bit of drawing done while sick and busy at work. I wish I had the option for daily life drawing sessions, last time I was going they were fortnightly. Better than nothing so I should see if they are still going and drag myself back.

59 – those precious clean pages deserve to get messed up! Making some marks definitely takes away the worry of starting for me.

67 – does your life drawing setup have multiple lights? I remember that being a challenge with shading.

85 – Bridgman is an enigma for me too. Not sure if you have watched July 10 podcast, Matt answers my question about how he approaches using Bridgman for learning. Starts around 10 min mark.

Thanks for posting, and also for dropping by my sketchbook.

Cheers, Chris

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Hi Chris,

we don’t have them every day here either but they do happen a few times a week – I’ve been going on wednesdays. And YES there are lots of multiple lights surrounding the model on all sides except for the back. Since I’ve really been using tone as a crutch… it DESTROYED me the first time I went lol. But now I feel like it’s been good since it really forces me to work on line and tone. There are two seats in the room where you can sit and you get a nice form light on the model… but they are on either side of the modeling stand and the model always faces forward for the standing and seated poses so that’s a bit annoying because the seats with the form lighting you are always forced to draw in profile. Every. single. time.

what I’ve been doing is being completely obnoxious during the 30 minute poses and moving around the room if there are open seats – and I’ll even just creep in and sit on the floor if there’s not. So I can turn that one 30 minute pose into 3 10 minute poses to get even more chance to work on form. Luckily, I’ve asked several regulars there if its annoying and they’ve said no so that’s good. I end up then getting front, side, three quarters view and if I have time, I’ll even sneak behind the modeling stand and sit in her break chair for a second and attempt to draw the back view which is tricky cause now it’s back lit and the lights are blinding me. But… all that moving around really seems to be helping make the most of each session.

Thanks for letting me know about the Bridgman podcast – I’ve haven’t had a second to watch anything on here in a month so I’ve missed a lot! I’m gonna go check that out right now : )

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

wait… that podcast was in July during my high fever – I must have watched it in my zombified state and it seeped into my subconsciousness heehee. Damn, I outta start playing DTO videos while I sleep – too bad there’s no option to set up a playlist with autoplay on this site : )

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

I’m finally calming the freak down on all the many colored pens and just using some sanguine tone stuff to do anatomy studies for a while. I can’t seem to learn without jumping around so I’ve gotten a bunch of sketchbooks to divide the subjects into so I can keep better track of what I’ve done when I do jump and then come back. There will be one sketchbook for legs+feet, arms+hands, torse+pelvis, and head/portrait. Having a whole sketchbook devoted to each topic is helping to solidify the idea that studying anatomy is something to do during your whole life as an artist and it’s gonna take time… when I was drawing as a kid I think I used to really just learn something once and then do it that way all the time and never improve… don’t really know why I was like that?

I met two incredible people this last week – one was a guy living in a building that’s nothing but artists. He does the CRAZIEST faces out of his imagination. Like. So realistic it’s unreal! All in black ballpoint pens. He did a face for this character he made up and it was this weary emaciated Asian guy (it was a post apocalyptic story and he’d been a prisoner) it was crazy – this guy looked so real just looking at the drawing I felt like I knew him – like I could perceive the whole life that he’d lived in that moment. And the light super fine lines he was getting with the ballpoint pen was insane. We had some interesting moments and I got to ask him some questions about his process. There was one painting he did where he was showing it to me and he’s describing ‘I painted this after I broke up with my girlfriend and the hand represents this and the leaf represents that and I used this color because I was feeling angry and that color because I was feeling sad’ ect and so on…. well… ya hear artists say stuff like that… and I really don’t get the process behind it… cause, like, if you came up and asked me about something I drew I would probably look like a dumb*** and say ‘well… I drew this picture of a dog. I guess because I was looking at a dog at the time’ lol. I’m not very expressive. Or, if I am expressive, it’s really not in a way that I could tell someone else what was going on. So I was very curious about his thinking there and we had a nice chat about that.

Another person I met – I’m thinking wtf Bridgman?!?! who really has legs that look like that? Like what did he model that thick super chiseled man leg off of? Where do you ever really see those? All those super chiseled rock like man legs just walkin’ around out in the world? No, Bridgman, I don’t think so – you’re just making stuff up. But then, suddenly, there WAS a bridgman leg!! And he was kind enough to let me take photos for reference so I’ll be sketching that as I get a chance.

And I finally figured out how to comfortably use a hardbound sketchbook – I clip it to my drawing board so it doesn’t flop around. Yeah, it was a hell of a week.

91. some water soluble crayon
    92. col-erase terracotta with Derwent drawing Mars Orange to add more contrast. I really don’t know if I overworked these two pages and if the bones still read as light colored objects anymore but I wanted them to be more interesting to look at

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Anatomy for the Artist by Jeno Barcsay got here today and it looks like it’s gonna be really good – I only flipped through it real quick but it’s already explained something that I wasn’t getting – how the patella is connected and moves. It explains in drawings the joints range of movement also which I think will be good for drawing from imagination. So glad this was recommended here!

Did a sketch today from Mr. Rock Legs. It took about an hour and a half and I’m wondering if I’m still really really slow… but I think last year when I started all this that same drawing would have probably taken 4-6 hours… so there’s been some improvement. It also seemed to come together easier though I did struggle with parts and the negative space between the legs is too narrow.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

I think I’ve finally realized my goal of replacing watching hours of netflix a night with doing some sketching with that time instead (Took me long enough! I swore last year around this time that I’d do that…. but it kept sucking me back in on those days I was too tired). Finally getting back to actually filling the sketchbook page instead of just putting like one huge thing per page. Experimented with square stick type and round waxy crayon type media. I’ve never been good with stick media. Guess you just have to accept that it won’t be precise?

watched some videos here on dto while I sketched

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.