Lucille's Sketchbook and Journal

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Lucille's Sketchbook and Journal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m so glad to have a place to come and view other people’s works and progress and I thought I would post what I’m working on on the forum as well.

So first a little background about me: I’m just getting back into 2 dimensional art after a looooong (16 years!) break from it. I spent the first half of that break sewing elaborate costumes and the latter half making dollhouse miniatures. My inspiration for getting back into drawing after so many years comes from two things – first, at times I need to decorate the surfaces of my 3 dimensional art with 2 dimensional stuff… and then I run into a lot of frustration when my 2d stuff sucks. The second inspiration is just trying to get stuff out of my head and onto paper. I have really no aspirations to become a professional or show my work – it’s pretty much just personal use.

Last June, when I started drawing again my main goal was to troubleshoot what went wrong with it the first time around – I had many many art classes as a kid and even did a couple of years in a college level art program. I got really good at drawing around 10 or 11 years old… and then just kind of never improved much after that so that by the time I was 20 I was actually pretty bad for my age and the amount of courses I’d had lol. I realized that for some reason, I never got the hang of doing many many short studies and quick sketches all the time and so my drawings were taking me 8 hours or more to complete and looking terrible – terrible proportions, unable to control how big or small I draw any one object, ect. I haven’t done much drawing in the year that’s passed until about the last month – I think it took me that long to find a medium that agrees with me and to reconfigure my mind into doing this quick sketch thing. At some point, I realized improving in art for me, in an immediate sense relies on just not giving a flying fudge how it comes out.

Sounds counterproductive, but take a short journey with me through my sketchbook and see the improvement after the pages where I officially explode into not giving a crap mode – those two pages will be pretty obvious once you see them lol. I really wish I had kept the old, stiff drawings that imprisoned me all through high school and my early adulthood so I could post them here. The earliest pages will give you some idea of where I started. Right now my short term goals are loosening up, overlapping sketches, making messy pages, familiarizing myself with different types of media, and most important of all staying inspired and improving my overall proportions and understanding of values through TONS of quick sketches and studies.

My long term goal for my art is kinda strange I guess but here it goes – in recent years, I’ve been suffering from some medical stuff that causes me to hallucinate frequently (sounds a lot more fun than it is lol) and I’m hoping to be able to express on paper or canvas what is going on with my head – cause it’s pretty dang trippy!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

more stiff stuff

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

this lady got a beard, more stiff stuff, a few cast drawings came out alright, ghosting in with hamsters in her hair, and the page I decided I was caring so much about the outcome that the pressure was making my stuff suck, I was hating drawing so much I wasn’t doing much of it, and I should probably just quit all that and have fun.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

A secondary page of not giving a _______ followed by the day I discovered you can buy literally anything online and that may not be such a great thing – but, hey, it was inspiring. Quick teapot still life. Experimenting with pen cause graphite makes me want to put a blindfold on and walk out into rush hour traffic. Some stiff Killer Whales.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

the first page of my sketchbook I didn’t hate and that actually *felt* really good to draw, practicing making a total mess of my pages. And there were weird looking owl photo reference.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

some creepy eye I saw while reclining, getting skeletal while I figure out how I want to approach gesture drawings, I’ve officially sent to divorce papers to Mr. Graphite. See ya later buddy, and NO. We can’t stay friends.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Using nasty, leftover dried up gouache of no particular color to quickly fill in the values for my still life. I’m doing pen so I won’t spend all my sketch time compulsively erasing. The effect is not great but I’m actually doing a TON more sketching than I normally would as a result.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

On a side note, I got some pretty amazing still life stuff from the dickblick website – it’s a plaster cast of a hand holding a cylinder – it’s pretty cool! They have a whole series of these hands holding the basic shapes – coupled with some basic shape foam cheapies I found on amazon – they make a pretty fun still life to draw!

random fashion model whose skirt I wanted to draw, another still life with a wood mannequin and the troubled head of Moses. Ink pens and leftover gouache mud.. I’ve managed to cram yet another shelf into my workroom in the 1 foot space I have between the top of the window and the ceiling as it starts to slant…. and set up an area that’s just all about doing quick still life studies. The shelf is full of random still life do dads that can be moved quickly and randomly to the table which sits below and has some spot light type lamps for light sources. the lights can be moved around or even clipped overhead to do the same still life with light source changes – fun!

Hamster: Last year when I first got back into drawing – from not great reference photos of the Highly Esteemed Matthias H. Hamilton. I keep it hanging up on my wall because the one on the upper right corner of the page is I think the first thing I have ever drawn in my life that came out loose so I keep it up to remind myself that that’s where I want to be – plus, awwww…hammie : )

Attachments:
    Heidi Søholm
    Participant

Hi Lucielle,
    I enjoy seeing your animal drawings – some seem cute, others… interesting 😉 I’m also a fan of your mixed media 🙂

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Hi Lucille,
    Loved this post of yours! Very nice to see you rapidly developing through the pages! And I would love to have a few cheap plaster models of hands too, reminds me of the Bargue plasters.

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

35 “Planes of the Head” model and booklet came in the mail yesterday – going over old sketchbook page with red to do the first exercise in the book.

36, 37 kind of doing a hybrid gesture simple anatomy study from the pose videos. Incorporating a little bit of planes when I can see them. I hate doing gesture drawings and having them come out like weird evil looming dank vine charcoaley dancing brooms or like stiff stick figures so I’m taking the pose videos really slow until I figure out how I want to approach gesture and it becomes ingrained in my fingers and head, then I’ll speed it up (and stop cheating!). About 6 minutes per sketch at this point. Also, will move to large newsprint when I’m ready to stop cheating by pausing the video.

38 I may have over-gathered on the colorful pens. Next week’s paycheck caveperson will gather less pens, more meat and berries. Caverperson hungry. I think I’m finally onto something as far as staying motivated. First, I can’t erase so I can’t dwell too long on any one thing – if I screw it up, oh well, on to the next try. Meh, it’s pen, whattrya gonna do? Second, yes, I’m using color as a bandaid for my lack of skill lol. But when the sketch comes out a proportional or structural mess – ooooh loook!!!! This page has prettttty colors!! I’m gonna keep sketching now cause I feel all happy inside.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Didn’t get much done today except work on the drawing accurate angles homework and screw around with my neighbor. Got to see her cool tree paintings today and I showed her my sketchbook. We might go to some life drawing sessions sometime soon – which will be awesome since I’ve been meaning to go for, like, a year but haven’t been able to get across town during the day.

I didn’t print out the reference photo but instead was trying to do it from a distance looking at the computer screen. Didn’t come out that great – maybe next time I really will print it out but I always try to avoid having a photo right next to the paper I’m working on cause I feel like it’s a little more like drawing from life to have the reference away from me. I can see how doing this exercise with the photo right there would help train the eye to see the angles better though.

After that, I just screwed around with it and used a pen to try to work on line quality and tried to figure out how to use my watercolors since that’s what I mostly want to be using. Made the initial ghosting in waaay too dark. I always having trouble figuring out where the terminator lines are unless the shadow is super harsh. And I don’t know what the opposite of ‘lazy eye’ is… but her left eye’s got it going on – it’s like way up high and perkier than the other one lol. Couldn’t see my marks under the watercolor and was just freehanding with the pen on the eyes at that point.

Been keeping a smaller sketchbook in my car and on my bicycle. On my bicycle sketching sessions, I keep running into some nice lady who is taking in person figure drawing classes and we chat, so that’s pretty cool.

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

Impromptu Life Drawing Session at Work

So I work in a business where people disrobe for me all the time… I’m not sure why I haven’t taken advantage of that long before now, instead feeling bad about those open life drawing sessions I found out about last year and never seem to make it to. Last week I made a decision to be on the feel for clients who seem chill enough to hang around and pose – well, tonight was the night! Very relaxed private atmosphere, no battling traffic to get to the trendy part of town, no reenacting ‘The Hunger Games’ trying to win the grand prize of one cramped metered parking spot.

Though the circumstances weren’t especially ideal since I wasn’t working with an actual life drawing model in the context of a classroom setting. Instead of a model platform, he reclined on the bed which made it hard to tell what was going on in places as parts of the figure were sinking quite a bit into the mattress. Lighting was terrible. Also there was a lot of micro shifting and nose scratching and arm movements going on but I have now, finally, for the first time ever gotten in some gesture drawing from life – YAY!!!

When I asked if he would help me with my life drawing stuff he replied “what… you mean… draw me? Like one of your French girls?”

I started out earlier in the day doing loose meandering sketches while listening to the video critiques and then some gesture drawings with one of the the pose videos. I’m starting to not hate how they come out. Although I did run into an issue tonight when I went to work from life, and that’s that I’ve been starting all my gesture drawings out by doing the rib cage and pelvis first and going from there – with all of the models I’ve seen so far in the pose videos it’s super easy to quickly determine where those are, what direction they’re facing, and how they’re angled. I could not really not get a feel for what was going on with that in my life model – very challenging, but fun!

Attachments:
    Lucille Kreps
    Participant

48. man, for every 1 sketch I used to get done with a pencil, I’m getting like 10-20 done with pens. I don’t know why??

Should I have known that cat’s would want to eat watercolor?? And it’s not really art unless there’s a Pacman reference in there somewhere.

49. screwing around with different pens and copic markers while I watch the ‘paper to pencil’ video again. Man… I am soooo outliney.

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Lucille, love your sketchbook postings! Love the humour, and how you share your process – and struggles. Keep posting, keep battling it out with the pencil and keep loving your pens! Oh, and yes, cats eat everything except the cheaper brand of food you lovingly buy them …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.