Linn's Sketchbook

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Linn's Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Thank you Marty!
    I guess it is in combination with the bad weather and the lack of sunshine as well. Swedish winter only gets better when it is summer… ^^
    I did some more drawings yesterday which I didn’t like so I decided to change path and read some pages in a book about light, form and shadow. I do not understand all of it, but I hope that I will some day 🙂

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Hi Linn, being Swedish does have its drawbacks (winters! light!) 😉
    I am with Marty: everyone has ups and downs, good weeks and bad weeks in drawing. Don’t blame it all on Sweden lol!
    But seriously, I think you have a very lovely touch in drawing, don’t sell yourself short! First tries are not perfect, in my case tenth tries too. And love your progress!
    I would certainly go for more expensive paper for every drawing. It will give you more joy, practicing equals joy!

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Thank you Marjan,
    I guess you are right. I just have to try harder to keep a positive mind 🙂
    I am a bit torn about how to handle the tutorials on this website. Since I do struggle with the 60 minute figure drawing, I was thinking that perhaps I should move focus to something else, or is that unwise?
    I really do like the bristol 300 series from Strathmore and I haven’t tried the 400 series, but I will someday soon. Perhaps for the next tutorial that does not include line drawings. I am pretty interested in taking the glass drawing tutorial. 🙂

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I just watched the line quality tutorial at the old DTO site. I think it was a great tutorial, which I would have loved to see here at the new website. Perhaps it is there, but I haven’t found it. I think it will help me tremendously with drawing since I am one of those who have always been drawing with the chicken scratch technique and never really thought about the thickness of the lines.

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Hi Linn,
    Matt is re-doing the whole Begin her Step by Step section, so those tutorials are only available on the old DTO website…

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Yeah I figure that is the case. I’m looking forward to watch his new tutorials as well. I think that it is very nice of him to let us use the old DTO site as well. I think that the old site is pretty messy and hard to keep track of, but it is nice to be able to see old tutorials and sometimes I use it to sneak peak at the one’s that are also available here to see what kind of things they include. Sometimes the titles of the chapters doesn’t really reveal much of its content. I also downloaded some nice PDF references from MOMA, which I look forward to draw someday in the near future. 🙂

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Taking a small break from another cast drawing. I’m not sure how to tackle the hair and the face yet, so I am leaving it until I will gain some more confidence. I’m trying it out on Strathmore 400 series bristol paper in vellum this time. Earlier drawings has been made on the 300 series bristol paper in vellum. I’m not sure which one I like the most. I believe that the 300 series has some more tooth in it, but I am not sure if that is just a feeling of mine.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Taking another break from drawing the cast. I’ve tried to add some shapes to her face but I’m not very satisfied. I’ve no idea how many hours I’ve spent on this drawing, probably around 2,5-3 hours. Slow progress but it is fun. Not too keen about the base of the cast, but I’ve measured it with a ruler and it should be somewhat accurate.
    One of my cats, Dexter, decided to take a nap underneath my drawing table…

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Made some final adjustments for today. Not happy with the face or the base of the statue. I need to look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes. My back is killing me from drawing several hours today, even though I have a tilted drawing surface.

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Unfortunately I did not finish anything to enter to last week’s critique, which I felt very bad for. I have not been feeling very well lately and has mostly been lying in bed reading or watching series on Netflix. I got a bit discouraged from the 60 minute figure drawing so I decided to watch the figure drawing from life. I liked watching the first two videos and I made one attempt a few minutes ago. Doesn’t look very good and it took me quite some time but I decided that I didn’t want to limit my time with it. I think I’m going to try and draw on top of a couple of photos so see if I can understand the placement of the anatomy a little bit better.

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

You have managed to convey a great amount of detail! The last photo you posted seems to be very light, i can just barely make out the 2 shadows 🙂

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Thank you. I will try and make more rough skeletons. I seem to have a hard time making these look natural and loose.
    Your screen settings must be different to mine because some parts of the drawing are pretty dark, only the face is light since I didn’t know how to render it properly.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Just made some rough skeleton exercises on top of photos and then I filled the background with black.

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

I made the drawings quite fast and they are sloppy, but I just wanted to try and see if I could figure out the placement on the body. I find the pelvis the hardest to see, especially in the back view.

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Not sloppy, nice and loose!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.