Linn's Sketchbook

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Linn's Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Just watched Matt’s critique of my drawing of the skull. I tried to make some of the changes mentioned, but not sure if I made them correctly. Once again it is hard to take a photograph that matches the real values of the drawing. I usually find that the contrast gets more realistic if I zoom out of the object and incorporate some other items for the camera to consider. I have overworked this skulle a little bit and the paper is a bit damaged on top of the skull where there is some strange sticky shadow. I’m just gonna leave it and give it a rest. I did not spend as many hours on this drawing as with the cast and I think you can see that in the final result. The skull is not as well rendered and smooth.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Linn, love your sketchbook! I’m definitely going to start one myself, seeing yours!

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Thank you šŸ™‚
    I feel bad that I have not been drawing hardly anything this week. I’ve been tired and stressed. I should better sit down tonight and try to see if I can fix some of the mistakes on that damn foot I started two weeks ago and left unfinished on my drawer. I just watched your sketchbook and I love it. I hope to see more drawings like that. I would love to try to copy some Leonardo or Raphael drawings some day. I got the book of Leonardo’s graphic work, but the book was smaller than I thought it would be so the drawings are not that large and I do need glasses, but refuses to get any… :p

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Haha, I used to pity people with glasses LOL! But once you put on your own brand new glasses the world (or rather: your drawings!) look soooo much better, trust me šŸ˜‰ Couldn’t do without them now.
    I print out my references, ususally enlarged. Mostly to the same size as my drawing pad, so I can sight size the drawing. Makes life easier!
    You have such a lovely touch in drawing, can’t wait to see your take on Raphael! And I love your foot (the drawing that is …)

Linn Hansson
    Participant

lol I know I have to get them sooner or later. It’ll probably be later since I haven’t used any since I was about 12 years old…
    I did try to make some changes to the foot but I got annoyed with it. Think I might hand it in for critique anyway even though I will not finish it. There are some parts of it that I do like and some parts that I really hate. But I guess you can always learn from your mistakes.
    I also print out my reference but in the size I want to draw them and then I use my ipad to zoom into details that I cannot see on the printed version. I use regular copy paper so the quality of the print is pretty bad.
    Thank you for your kind words. I try to get better but I’ve been lazy this week. Tired and lazy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the skull came out great!

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Thank you šŸ™‚
    I’m going to give it away for someone at work this Tuesday on her birthday.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I posted the anatomy of the foot drawing for this week’s critique earlier this morning. I am not happy with it, but I can always learn from my mistakes. As usual the photography doesn’t make justice to the rendering. The photos somehow usually enhance the drawings contrast and take away all of the subtle graduations, as well as making the pencil strokes look clumsy. I wish we could just send them in by regular mail service. :p

Watched the first three videos of the 60 minutes figure drawing yesterday. I watched the tutorial about the ribcage anatomy the other day but I haven’t had the inspiration to actually do the drawing. The foot drawing discouraged me to draw this week, alongside with tiredness, stress and work… a normal week for me. I hope to be able to find some peace of mind and sit down and practice some figure drawing. I did some drawing yesterday from the first video of the figure drawing tutorial, but they look awful. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the video I was watching. I have downloaded some PDF with female and male poses from the old DTO and I want to try and implement this new (to me) myserious peanut shape. Wish me luck. I will try and practice more with the peanut shaped torso in the future. I just need a better sketchbook. I just wish Strathmore did sketchbooks in their 300 series bristol vellum paper which seems to be my new favourite paper. I still have a pad of the same paper in the 400 series but I haven’t tried it out yet. I plan to use it for more serious drawings since it was a tad more expensive.

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

My really bad attempt at making figure drawings. I tried to make drawings of both male and female torsos, but I found it extremely hard. I did not really see the underlying anatomy on the screen of the iPad. I definitely need to practice more. These are horrible.

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

they are leagues better than mine when i started šŸ™‚

Have you ever tried printing them out and drawing the bones right on the print out (or if you can draw on your ipad, you can do that there as well)? I still do that when working with a difficult pose.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I’m not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that I should draw on top of the photo?

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Iā€™m not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that I should draw on top of the photo?

Marty Kulma
    Participant

yes, right on top of the print out – you’ll see matt do it sometimes when he’s critiquing — he’ll draw the skeleton right on the drawing (of course he does it digitally, so it is easier).

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Ah okay šŸ™‚ Well I have been thinking about buying tracing paper. I got a book about figure drawing a while back but I never really read it or did the tutorials in the book. They had tracing paper in their materials list, but I never got any. Perhaps it is time to get some and start reading that book. It has a dvd with a lot of poses in it.

I feel quite uninspired to draw this week. I just get in a bad mood because I’ve made several attempts and none has really looked good. Feels sad since I started off good, but I guess I am trying to rush things to fast.

Marty Kulma
    Participant

i’m sorry to hear that you are going through a frustrating week. as you continue on your artistic journey, you will have great weeks and, unfortunately, some terrible ones – i think we all have to suffer through it. it helps to try new things and change perspective to get out of a rut šŸ™‚

plus – a new week is starting, and there’s a fresh new drawing to work on!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.