Linn's Sketchbook

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Linn's Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

This is my first sketchbook ever, if you do not consider my instagram account! I’ve bought a few sketchbooks but I’ve never used them. So perhaps a digital sketchbook is something for me. We’ll see. My name is linn_e_hansson on instagram in case you want to take a look, there are some really bad pieces with some all right ones. 🙂

I’ve just finished watching the first video in the cast drawing tutorial where it was all about a three-value drawing. I made the greyscale chart as well as a simple thumbnail and a larger version. Doesn’t look too much for the world to see, but I tried to limit myself not trying to make it perfect. I usually overwork everything until it is destroyed. I tried to make it rough and just had fun with it. I used a 2B pencil, which I found pretty hard to get lighter values with. It was easy to get the ⅚ values, but not the 10 or the ⅔ values… Anyway, I just wanted to share it with you and hopefully the second video of the cast tutorial will continue learning things! 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Part I and II completed. I was aiming for a diagonal reversed shadow for the background, but got a bit carried away while talking on the phone so it got a bit weird, but I really liked the idea of a reverse shadow and I will try and use it more! I haven’t really thought about it before. She looks a bit chubby, I wasn’t paying a lot of attention to the proportions, just blocked it. I used a printed photo as a reference and now when I compare it to the digital photo I realise some mistakes with the shadow and light. Think I might have to redo these steps again and use the digital photo instead.

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

I started the “real” cast drawing today. I’m pretty sure I’ve spent more than 40 minutes on this and it still doesn’t look too good, but it is a lot of fun! I’m gonna spend some more time trying to make the proportions better before continue watching the next chapter!

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

I’ve made some progress today. I haven’t beed drawing for two days since I’ve been busy with other things. It is far from perfect, but at least this is the best I’ve ever made. I just started watching the refine chapter. I am going to try and follow all of the steps throughout the whole tutorial, but we’ll see how that works out for me. I am starting to become a bit impatient because I have noticed a lot of flaws in it. The abs and the breasts are really difficult for me to draw. I hope to be able to make it as perfect as I possibly can.

Attachments:
    Marty Kulma
    Participant

its coming along great! nice work 🙂

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Thank you! Unfortunately I am stuck! The breasts are looking weird and the abs. I will leave it for a few hours and see if I can fix it. I tried to fix some things a few minutes ago but I was just too frustrated to do it. This is what usually happens when I draw. That’s why I never finish anything.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I watched the tutorial about the studio setup yesterday and got even more aware of how bad my working place is, however it is located in my living room so there is not a lot of options in terms of placement of the desk. I like my drawing place, but the drawing board is way too big for my small antique desk. I have been planning on getting a small stool or table to place my huge Faber-Castell Polychromos box on when drawing. The box itself takes up most of the space on my desk. :p

I keep most of my drawing material in the desk and my papers pads, palettes and coloured pencils in the drawers to the right of the desk. I do not have a great place to store my large single sheets of watercolour and drawing papers, so they are placed in a box on top of a bookcase in my “office”.

I always use an iPad to display the reference images since I like that you can zoom in and out on it. But I am not that great with measurements so I always keep a printed version of the object as a static copy of the reference. I usually use a ruler or my compasses, but this time I’ve only used the compasses twice to double check if the measurements were somewhat correct, but I felt like I was cheating so I stopped using them.

As I said before I am terrible frustrated with the cast drawing at the moment. I feels like I have ruined it, but I hope that it is not too late to fix the worst parts. I had hoped to be able to finish it this weekend to put it into the Critique Gallery, but we’ll see how that goes.

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Almost done. I handed it in for critique a few minutes ago and I am nervous. This photo makes it look a lot worse than it actually is in real life. The contrast in the photo is weird and it makes it look dirty and patchy. The abs are not as prominent on the drawing as they are on the photo. The ironic thing is that my favourite part of the drawing is the platform. I guess it is because I have spent less time with it than anything else. I have to render the background and the fabric a little bit better before calling it done. It is probably going to be a gift for a friend at work.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Started with the tutorial of drawing feet this evening. I’ve just finished the first stages with the surface planes and the angled drawing. I didn’t really pay a lot of attention to get the proportions correct, as you can see. I just went into the flow and didn’t spend more than maximum 10 minutes of each foot. I still struggle with the planes, but I’m gonna practice more. It was a lot of fun. 🙂

Feels like I am spamming this forum and especially my sketchbook, but I thought it would be a good idea for me to keep my progress recorded somewhere. I am a master of throwing away sloppy or unfinished drawings when I organise my art materials.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I handed in my cast drawing for critique last week and I tried to correct some of the mistakes with it. I decided to not pursue it any further than this. I might do in a couple of weeks, but to be honest I am quite tired with it and I am eager to move on with the other tutorials. I hope that I will re-draw the cast some day and be able to make it look better. I tweaked the hip a little bit and made some of the areas slightly darker as they were too bright. I tried to make the abs a little bit more prominent and better positioned. I want to take a photo of the drawing in natural light, but it is late autumn/early winter here in Sweden and this means a limited amount of day light, which complicates things. Thank God for artificial daylight lamps!

Anyway I also started the final drawing of the foot. I’ve spent about 1-1,5 hours I think on it so far. Not a lot has happened but I’m struggling with the toes, which annoys me. I decided to add a diagonal gradient as I fell in love with the idea while making the cast drawing. I am unfortunately left handed so I will have to make the gradient pretty late on in the drawing process. I got some Col-Erase yesterday and decided to try them out on this foot drawing. I like them so far, but I am concerned about their lightfastness. I might stick to graphite when I know I’m going to save the drawing and frame it.

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

I’ve spent some more time on the foot drawing. I quite like the upper parts of the foot with all the shadows, but not the highlighted parts like toes and the dorsal part of the foot. I’m going to take a break until tomorrow and see if I will be able to change things to make it look better.

Attachments:
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

I worked with the foot drawing for quite some time yesterday and I really struggled with the tendents (not sure how to spell it). Then I realised that the proportions of the lower foot was way off. You can clearly see it with your bare eyes, but I even measured it with a ruler to make sure how much it was and it was about 5-7 mm off which ruins the whole drawing. I’m going to have to start over. I really did like some of the parts of the drawings and it is sad to let them go but hopefully they will get better! I just need to take some rest from it so I started watching the anatomy lessons. I’m going to draw the skull next I think. Looking forward to it. 🙂

I’ve decided to make some goals for the upcoming month: November.
    1. Post drawings to critique at least every other week, hopefully every.
    2. Finish one longer drawing tutorial (like the cast tutorial)
    3. Read my new book: Leonardo da Vinci – The Graphic Work

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Just finished a drawing of the anatomy of the skull and just uploaded in into the Critique Gallery. I think it looks all right. I will adjust the background a little bit and make some of the shadows darker. I did not aim for perfection with this one, but I had a lot of fun.

Attachments:
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Linn, I like seeing your sketchbook. I think the whole idea of an online sketchbook is to post lots of stuff and works in progress doesn’t seem like spam to me! I just watched all the critiques and I think adding the darks to your (already wonderful) cast drawing really improved it. I especially enjoyed seeing your studio space.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Thank you Emilie. I actually did some more touch up’s on the cast drawing before I gave it away. I darkened it even further but I forgot to take a photo of it. I gave it away this Friday to a co-worker who told me some weeks ago that she wanted a drawing before she retires. She was very happy and showed everyone who entered our CT-lab that day, lol.

It is fun to keep a sketchbook and it is a good thing that you cannot remove your posts here. I always remove certain photos from my Instagram because I think they are too ugly, but then you cannot see the progress you’ve made. I think that I have made a lot of progress just by watching three tutorials and completed 2,5 of them :p I really have to try and save that foot, I just need some motivation.

Where do you draw and paint? Do you have a workspace as well? I love to get small containers to store my brushes and pencils in. I love the one I am using now, I found it in my father’s storage room when he was sorting it out before he moved to his new apartment this summer. :p It is rustic and makes me in a good mood while I draw. Perhaps you should start a sketchbook as well? I’d love to see some of your work and studio.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.