Julie's Sketchbook/ Journal

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Julie's Sketchbook/ Journal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Julie Taylor
    Participant

Hello I am still New here… and trying to find my way
    but Thought I would start with this sketchbook/ Journal of my progress and improvement and maybe some of the art I am working on in between practicing these skills here on DTO

I have only been using a sketchbook for a couple of years now- and had real problems with drawing in it in the beginning /keeping my mistakes /and trying not to rip bad pages out – thankfully I am much better at this now

So first a little about me I am a self taught artist and as a child I would draw mostly flowers and animals painting in watercolour /and later in gouache too.
    I when on to college to do graphic design and the teachers told me my illustration was what I should be focusing on /plus I enjoyed drawing far more than typefaces/logo design etc
    I later got a job as an illustrator/ designer for a greeting card & gift company where I worked for over twelve years-
    recently I’ve been thinking about perhaps selling my art online?-I would also LOVE to illustrate children’s storybooks or perhaps make my own?
    which brings me up to date , the last couple of years I felt my art/skills had plateaued as I missed learned some important fundamentals while growing up so I am here hoping to get back on track x

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Welcome! Hope you’ll like it here. 🙂

Julie Taylor
    Participant

My sketchbooks and the art within are very different from the art I am doing here which is very much old school teaching techniques my sketchbooks to date are full of art which is cute, whimsical and childlike in style and theme. I would very much like my style ? to improve and evolve as I go though the courses here.

I love watching the student sketchbook videos too !! … they are so inspiring to me mixing up their styles of drawings/media on a single page is so interesting to see.

so here are a couple of pages from recent sketchbooks so Hopefully you’ll start to see a change

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Julie Taylor
    Participant

This is my first art submitted for critique a value study and portrait practice

Attachments:
    Julie Taylor
    Participant

just finished this tonight ? ? Though now I photographed it I can see all the mistakes ! may try to correct some of them first before have it critiqued

pre- Raphaelite artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti – the background is gold leaf which is not great to try to re product in pencil

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Very nice! Love the pre-Raphaelite artist’s. I don’t see many mistakes, looks pretty good to me! But then, we are our worst critics of course …

Julie Taylor
    Participant

A re-try of the Dante Rossetti drawing as above but this time in watercolour

p.s I am still procrastinating about posting my figure drawing practice as it is so very wrong!! will work on this…. for next weeks critique promise 🙁 my rough skeleton very much a work in progress

Attachments:
    Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Lovely!

Marty Kulma
    Participant

wow – great work!

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Lovely.
    I think your Rosetti drawing is very nice. Do not be so hard on yourself. I am the worst critic of my own work, but really yours look fine. Next time you’ll nail it perfectly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.