Johnson's "How to Die on Neptune" Journal

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Johnson's "How to Die on Neptune" Journal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shelton Johnson
    Participant

Day 1:
    How to be more committal in Four steps or more! or How to disappoint your parents

I’m not listing anything if you wanted lists this is not the thread for you. Actually, it’s probably not the post for you either way unless you came for a train wreck of a post. If that’s the case then I hope you picked your seats early ’cause this’ll be a long one. All jokes aside I wanted to keep a post of all my failures so I could learn from them as quickly and efficiently as possible. I will post attachments of my work that day, the amount of study time, lessons I went over, what I hoped to accomplish versus what I actually did and inspiration I had for the day. So, my first actual post will be Friday and I will try to post at least three times a week. Here’s to progress as an artist and I hope to hear from you all!

Shelton Johnson
    Participant

Day 2:
    “Flight of the Concords” or “Grapes of Wrath”

Time elapsed: 1hr 15min
    Lesson: Drawing Accurate Shadow Shapes

Well, I said today was gonna be the first post and I’m a man of my word so prepare for that. After I took some cues from Matt I decided to really knuckle down and work on something that wasn’t just a sketch. I was hoping to really learn how to take my time, observe, measure and add shape through tone. Watching the video first and then following along with it afterwards put things into perspective and I feel like I learned a couple things. I was really struggling with getting the shadow around the eyes but I think I’ll just really need to go over the lesson again but any critiques are welcome here. I’m also adding this to the critique gallery so really let me have it!

Diane Fleming
    Participant

Hi Shelton, Happy New Year! What a great idea to post your progress and have my seat on your “post” train 🙂 You are off to a good start with the drawing. I’m at the same stage on mine – see pic. I’m doing the same lesson too. I took Matthew’s advice this time and I have a copy of the ref. photo to the left of my drawing and one directly in front and above. I compared yours to mine and I see that the eyes on mine need to be reshaped a tad. I am going to view Matt’s videos once more. What pencil are you using? I usually use a combination of HB,B,2B but this time I decided to give the black col-erease another chance. I did not like it when I started drawing: I needed to erease too much so my poor drawings looked very messy. I’ll keep watching for your posts.

Shelton Johnson
    Participant

Well all aboard the post train! Happy New Year’s to you as well and I hope to see more of your work. As far as your eyes are concerned I think your are more accurate seeing you did as Matt proposed. I noticed you have a fairly light touch and I’m so jealous of that it’s comical. You’re also using a Col-Erase to boot that must be a task to get those gorgeous line weights and I commend you for that. I on the other hand use a single 2B Prismacolor to better train my hand to get those varied weights in my line. I haven’t yet given much though to getting the Col-Erase a shot myself mostly because I can’t find them Germany, but I may just yet. I’ll watch for your posts as well and here’s to progress as artists!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.