Hello from Colorado

Dashboard Forums Introduce Yourself RSS Hello from Colorado

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, my name is Emilie and this is my third time subscribing to DTO. I heard Matt say in one of the new videos that he sees some subscribers who go through the introductory steps and then quit. That’s me! I joined for the first time in 2010, did the intro steps, got overwhelmed and stopped. I joined again in 2013, and saw there were new introductory lessons. Hurray. Did them. Stopped. I never uploaded work either time. I learned so much from the introductory lessons, but then didn’t know where to go from there.

But recently, as my kids are older and my schedule has eased, I decided to try my hand at watercolor painting. But as soon as I started painting, I knew that improving my drawing skills and all the information about values, composition, form – all the fantastic information at DTO, would make a world of difference. So here I am, ready to try again.

I read “Your True North” and found it to be very helpful. Maybe a missing component in past tries has been the lack of longer term pieces so I’ve been thinking about a “body of work”. I’ve decided that to complement my watercolor experiments, I’m going to go through the landscape videos. But I must admit to still feeling a little overwhelmed. Do I draw along to the same reference as Matt does the pieces? Or do I just watch while he draws? What’s the best way to pick a skill to be practicing each week if I’m not doing the introductory steps? My goals for this week are to: 1. upload to the critique gallery and 2. schedule a routine as outlined in “Your True North” with time for both practice and work on a longer piece.

Looking forward to sticking with it and seeing the progress of others.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

Welcome back!
    Seems like a good thing that you came back for the third time! 🙂 I also get a bit overwhelmed about the tutorials and I am having a hard time to chose which one to continue with. I started my first one (the cast drawing) last week and I think I made a pretty all right job with it, much better than I would ever expect to. However, I decided to continue my second try at the foot tutorial and it started off fine, until I noticed that the proportions of the lower foot was totally off and now I think that it is ruined and I will have to start over again. I always find excuses to quit when I do not succeed at the first try. I am very impatient that way.
    I do hope to see some of your goals being reached this month! Looking forward to see some nice drawings from you soon!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.