Hello from Australia

Dashboard Forums Introduce Yourself RSS Hello from Australia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carmen SEMPF
    Participant

Hi!

I’ve been a member for just over a month now but I just discovered this forum while I was searching for a way to ask questions. I’m currently slowly working my way through the Being Here Step By Step (up to Seeing Shadow Shapes) and I’m enjoying the content immensely. The progress is slow because I work as an accountant full-time and find that I only can squeeze in a time on the weekend for drawing and even that has been limited the last few weeks which is very frustrating. I have uploaded one picture for a critique and I have to say the feedback was great and I’m looking forward to when I can post something else.

A bit about me. I’m currently 40 and live with my partner and cat in Brisbane Australia. I’ve always loved art and this was encouraged by my mother/grandmother who were the same. Luckily my grandmother’s friend was an art teacher and I felt she helped me with my art much more than my school art teacher. I ended up focusing on pastel drawing at this time and loved it. I never really got into painting but maybe down the track… I have done little drawing / art since leaving high school in 1994. This is because after 1 year of university I started to work full-time and do my university courses part-time/externally which left little time for anything else. As a study junkie I’ve been studying externally pretty much constantly until about a year ago and I’ve promised myself no more study. So since then I’ve been looking for an outlet. I’ve tried a few different crafty things but nothing really clicked. I looked for local drawing classes but their times didn’t work for me or the content wasn’t what I was after. I was so excited when I found this site as it was the type of content I was after as I’ve always been interested in drawing people and the body.

Thanks for creating this site.

Carmen Sempf

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Carmen,

Thank you so much for posting a bit about yourself. I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of the time thing. Do your very best to sketch some kind of doodle at least 5-10 minutes every other day.

It will keep your eye hand coordination up to speed. I recommend drawing torso peanut shapes from the 60 minute figure course.

However sticking with the begin here step by step course is most important.

Thanks so much for being a member!

Matt

Carmen SEMPF
    Participant

Thanks Matt. That’s what i was thinking too. I’m currently struggling my way through the rough skeleton. Very challenging as figure drawing is not something I’ve really done before. But its good for me to have a challenge and learn that every drawing doesnt have to be perfectly finished.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.