Good or bad artists – what do you think?

Dashboard Forums Off Topic RSS Good or bad artists – what do you think?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

I’m not a big art expert and have never really been interested in a lot of art until a few years ago when I started to learn how to draw and paint. My knowledge of artists isn’t that great but I know my opinion is quick and strong. I can glare on a piece of art for a few seconds and fall in love with it, but I can also watch a piece of art a hundred of times and never understand the big fuzz about it.
    Sweden is a pretty small country and we do not have a huge amount of world wide famous artists abroad. The one’s I can think of are Anders Zorn, Carl Larsson and Bruno Liljefors. I have to admit that Anders Zorn really did have something extra. His way or painting is spectacular, and I love the way he painted water and portraits. A true master. On the other side, I have never understood why people seem to love Carl Larsson. To me, the paintings are flat, more like detailed drawing books. The (if this is the right for it) foreshortening is weird in some of his paintings and he just doesn’t do it for me. It is fascinating how a piece of art can be accepted or discarded just like that.
    Although I have to admit that I have always had a bad relationship with van Gogh. I never liked his Starry Night and I never understood the greatness of his work. This summer I saw it in real life at the Museum of Modern Art in New York and it looked so much better in real life. On the other hand… I also saw one of my favourite paintings from my childhood by Salvador Dali: The Persistence of Memory. It was such a small painting and it left me feeling rather empty. It was nothing like I thought it would be. I really enjoyed the paintings of Bouguerau and I wish I didn’t live as far from MOMA than I actually do. Of course I would have loved to live in the Egyptian section of the museum, but that is another forum thread. I am almost ashamed to admit how much i love mummies!

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Hi Linn,
    LOL about the mummies!
    But to stay on topic: agree that you have to see paintings ‘eye to eye’ to really appreciate them.
    I have always balked at ‘you have to love this painting because everyone says so’. Being Dutch, I’m supposed to fawn over ‘De Nachtwacht’ by Rembrandt. I can see his mastery, but that’s all (love his mastery, he’s an inspiration, but I don’t drool over his paintings ;-_).
    I once was in a museum with a friend who was only interested in ‘the big names’, and ignored all that was on display just to gaze at an obscure Picasso sketch. After half an hour of this ‘I love it because he’s famous’ I ruthlessly abandoned her and wandered around till I was struck by a painting. Bought the print. And after 15 years learned it was indeed a famous painter, Singer Sargent! And to the horror of said friend I loved Waterhouse! That was certainly not done, a big nono! Until the now famous exhibition of 2009 – ‘everyone’ buzzed about it, Waterhouse was cool …

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I usually get overwhelmed while being in a museum. There are too much paintings to look at so I just scoop around with my eyes until I find something that appeals to me. It is a bad habit of mine, because I miss so much things with it. Sometimes you need to look twice at things before you appreciate it. But I have always been like this, even when I pick out clothes in a store. My eyes starts to browse and if I cannot see anything within a few seconds I continue to walk.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.