Erik's folder

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Erik's folder

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Magnus Burén
    Participant

I like it 🙂

Erik Lodin
    Participant

My best photo study yet, I think.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Linn Hansson
    Participant

Love your work. 🙂 do you only work digitally?

Erik Lodin
    Participant

Thanks Linn, I truly appreciate that! 🙂

Yes, I’m 99% digital. I have physical sketchbook that I doodle a bit in with a mechanical pencil, from time to time.

Started playing around with a Wacom Bamboo in 2011 (I was 34 and hadn’t drawn for ~20 years). At 2014 I bought my first Cintiq, joined DTO and really focused on leveling my skills. 🙂
    I distract myself a lot with 3D modelling and graphic design, so I’m not improving as fast as I could if I only focused on 2D art.

Erik Lodin
    Participant

Thanks Matt for this weeks critique. Some lessons need to be massaged (or beaten) into my brain.

The rendering wasn’t coherent across the painting. Hopefully everyone agrees that the “after” is a great improvement. Looking back, it didn’t feel finished.

Attachments:
    Erik Lodin
    Participant

I didn’t have the patience to wait for Matt’s critique before making my final changes and calling it done. But I found it very interesting that I already implemented some of the suggestions. 🙂
    I darkened the lighter shadows and removed the outline of his hair in the back. I kept the white outline though. I tried without but think it looked better with a thick one.

Attachments:
    Magnus Burén
    Participant

Well done, cool to see you posting again 🙂

Erik Lodin
    Participant

Before and after critique.
    The main take-away was not to use bold lines under the eyes. I will definitely study some Mucha for inspiration and tips on technique. I reworked the hair a bit but don’t mind the messier look (like he has after a sweaty soccer practice). But the most noticeable change is the cleaning of the lines achieved by vectorizing it in Illustrator.

Attachments:
    Magnus Burén
    Participant

Looks great, keep painting and posting 🙂

Erik Lodin
    Participant

Thanks Magnus!
    I enjoy seeing your inspirational productivity on Instagram. I hope I’ll be able to keep making some time for art now.

Magnus Burén
    Participant

Happy to hear that, I enjoy watching your Insta and art journey as well. Have a great weekend 🙂

Erik Lodin
    Participant

Lots of great tips from Matt I tried to implement in this one. Eye brows, shape of chin and cheek, lines vs hatching. I think the trick is not to add too much. This might be too much… Let’s see how it turns out with a bit of color.

Attachments:
    Erik Lodin
    Participant

Completing the portrait of my daughter with some color. The final critique gave me good pointers on how to solve some problem areas. Especially the cel-shading of the forehead. I’m really happy with how it turned out.

PS. I opted to not remove the hatching lines at her dimple, neck, and wrist as I didn’t want any difference between the drawing and the full illustration. But I remove a bit of the darker cel-shades for those areas.

Attachments:
    Magnus Burén
    Participant

Beautiful portrait, thanks for sharing your process

Erik Lodin
    Participant

This is an illustration that I never posted for critique. I planned to do so but after looking at my sketch for a bit I really hated how it looked. So I started to modify it, fixing all the issues I saw after leaving it for a bit. I couldn’t stop myself from vectorizing it either.

I think it turned out alright in the end (despite that awful first sketch – what was I thinking).

Below is the reference, first final sketch, and final result.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.