digital sculpting

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message digital sculpting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott Shulman
    Participant

A question for Matt or anyone else.. Since the last time I posted a question about my 14 yr old daughter, I got her an ipad and an apple pen and she uses it constantly (in addition to her colored pencils and watercolors). She now has curiosity about digital sculpting. She watched a video on YouTube about a free program Bender but found it confusing. Looking online it seems like Z brush is the main one but since it is a subscription (and not a cheap one) I’m guessing it might be even more complex. Any suggestions on how to hto help her get started with exploring this?

Arjun Khode
    Participant

Hi Scott. I have quite a bit of functional experience with digital sculpting and 3D. I highly recommend the program called Daz 3D. It starts you off with a 3D human model that you can pose, design, clothe, morph(by sculpting on top of it), you can place it in a scene, adjust the camera for the scene with the f stop and all those settings. I would not recommend getting sucked in to buying the 20$ addons in the store until she has had a tight experience with the free stuff. Like the costs add up really fast, it’s an entire world out there. People buy these morphs and clothes like real clothes. But a lot can be done with the free stuff. You could decide a budget since it is free and buying one or two morph packs is fine. You can also import 3D scans of statues and marble sculptures in Daz or Blender. These 3D scans are freely available on the net. It’s like having your own virtual Venus De Milo or David, but it’s never going to be as good as the real thing. Daz sounds like a virtual doll program but it was actually used in the latest Marvel Avengers movies. It is pretty legit.

Blender is great. Yes, it is confusing, but it is more than a pure sculpting program. It is just as good as Z brush if not better. Z brush is even more confusing than blender!

With any of this, a huge learning curve is expected. But the free programs are the way to go because they are used by industry professionals too. She is just going to have to watch a lot of youtube videos. I have a lot of programming experience and still it took about a month to completely understand Daz, watching youtube videos day and night. Everything is on youtube. You honestly don’t need to buy a course.

Arjun Khode
    Participant

If you have any questions just let me know. These programs need a lot of space in the laptop. Also be aware that to render a 3D image, it takes somewhere between 15mins to 4hours per image for the final render. It’s a lot of waiting time involved too.

If she is serious about this, watching the basics of 3D on youtube would be ideal, even she does not have that software. I like the channel called “flipped normals”. Stuff like polygons, 3D mesh, subdivision, height maps, displacement maps, normal maps, etc. and what they mean.

Also another great free resource is what is called as HDRI’s, which are like free spheres of lighting that simulate a real lighting environment like say a sunset on an Australian beach and you can light up your model in it. They can be used in blender and Daz. She must learn how to use HDRIs in blender first, light up any free 3d model, bring it into blender, which in itself has a learning curve too. Just don’t let her get discouraged!

my email is arjunkhode [at] gmail [dot] com, if you need help.

Arjun Khode
    Participant

Here’s my Medici Venus rendered in Blender (attached)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Scott Shulman
    Participant

Thanks Arjun. Wow, that is really cool! Amazing:)

Arjun Khode
    Participant

Attaching screenshots of 2 videos that cover almost all of the basics in Blender with regards to what I said. Should remove most of the confusion.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Scott Shulman
    Participant

Perfect! Thanks Arjun:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.