Daily drawing and painting practice

Dashboard Forums Drawing Questions Daily drawing and painting practice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi Matt,

New subscriber to DTO here 🙂 I’ve only been able to watch a few critique videos so far but I’ve already learnt so much….

What advice do you give students new to drawing when it comes to creating a daily practice?

I have very limited time available, with a young baby that just does not want to sleep. But I do believe I can carve out 30min daily – I know it’s not much… hopefully this will change in a month or two.

My main aim for learning to draw is to improve my oil painting skills. I read that drawing with charcoal is advised because it is similar to painting. Should I be doing most of my practice with charcoal?

I studied anatomy in med school (almost 20 years ago now) and I have a real appreciation for the human figure – and I would like to do some figurative painting. But I have shied away from even attempting portraits and/or the figure. My intention is to follow the drawing exercises in the “Begin Here” section of DTO, but realistically I don’t know how much time I can spend watching the lessons at this point. Any suggestions on what to focus on?

For a few short weeks I managed to paint a small 5×7 inch panel every day. I learnt a great deal from doing so but it started to feel rather aimless. I wasn’t seeing any improvement eventually.

With slimited time available how do you suggest splitting one’s time between painting and drawing if the main aim is to paint better?

Thank you!

Celeste

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Celeste,

Listen to today’s podcast. I think it will help. If you have any follow up questions, ask them in the comments section under the podcast.

Matt

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.