So, I recently “discovered” that a museum near me had some really amazing paintings by some old masters (William Adolphe Bouguereau, Jean Leon Gerome, Jehan Georges Vibert, among others). I’d really love to go to the museum and copy those paintings while standing in front of them.
I have a couple of questions about doing this:
1) What do I learn from copying these paintings (Why do copies in the first place)?
2) How do I maximize my learning?
3) Should I have a strategy going in…like, work on hands only, faces only, torsos only, etc.
4) When you lead groups of students into the museum to do these copies and studies, what advice do you give them?
5) What should I be aware of, or prepared for going into the museum?
I’ve attempted to attached paintings from the Masters that I listed above…I hope it worked…