Compositional challenges

Dashboard Forums Drawing Questions Compositional challenges

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sara Corren
    Participant

Hello there,
    I’m working on improving my design and composition skills. I usually work in a small format but am also challenging myself to work larger. What I’m noticing is what might work on a smaller scale as it’s more intimate, doesn’t translate larger. Is there any insights that you can offer on what to look out for?
    Thanks for your help!

Also, I have a quick painting question. I was listening to a Plein air podcast where the artist was talking about adding an orange red rim to shadows outdoors. Is that something you ever practiced when you were painting landscapes and what would be the reasoning behind it?
    Thanks again
    Sara

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Sara,

These are great questions for Monday’s podcast. Yes you are right when transferring to working larger sometimes something is missing. Working larger sometimes requires more time to get in all of the texture that comes easy when working small.

As for the orange red rim I would just chalk that up to that particular artist’s insight. I would use it if it works for you. But no I have never done anything like that.

Matt

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.