Col-Erase Pencils

Dashboard Forums Drawing Questions Col-Erase Pencils

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cara Harder
    Participant

Hi, Matt

You often refer to the Col-Erase pencil. Do you just use the black pencil? All I can find are coloured pencils, not graphite.

Cara

Andy Tran
    Participant

The Col-Erase pencil line is comprised of erasable color pencils. From what I’ve noticed, Matt primarily uses only the Col-Erase in black.

Cara Harder
    Participant

Thanks, Andy! I might give one a try.

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I bought 10 of them for 2 euros each (yeah they are pricey here in Sweden) and I’ve sharpened two of them so far. They break easily. I almost destroyed the first pencil before I could get a sharp point so now it is pretty short…

Cara Harder
    Participant

I live in Canada and they’re only $0.75 here (about $0.50 USD).

Linn Hansson
    Participant

lucky you, they are 4 times more expensive here :S

C h c Krouwel
    Participant

Hallo Linn,

I found a film on Youtube, maybe it is of some help.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-4a4vZYtE, it is called “how to properly sharpen prismacolor pencils, and I saw there were some other films about sharpening the Prismacolors.

Jolanda

Jean Mauferon
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m fan of Matt’s lessons because no other teacher will take so much time to draw in front of us and explain whatever he does…
    I have just a little question : how can we do, in France, when Prismacolor is so hard to find ?
    I bought some first at Amazon… I felt in love with Prismacolor Verythin !!!
    So, I’ve found — thanks ti the net — a way to buy then in Germany.
    Here is the question — at last — what are these Col-Erase like ?
    I own Caran d’Ache Supracolor and Pablo, and FB Polychromos too.
    Does anyone tested these vs Col-Erase ?
    Just to know…
    Thx in advance

Yours
    JM

Gordan Knezic
    Participant

Hi Jean,
    I just tried Col-Erase for the first time today on my first homework drawing “Draw The Statue” and just love it. I find it much easier to control than graphite. Producing value scale went like a breeze especially low and mid values. I thought producing darks might be difficult but no, not a problem at all. Just need to press harder. Also I like how it feels in the hand I would describe it as a gliding over the paper surface. I am sure all of this very subjective and everyone should try and see how it suits them. Hope this helps.

Gordan

Linn Hansson
    Participant

I haven’t used Caran d’ache Supracolor but I have use some other pencils like:
    Caran d’ache Pablo & Luminance
    Faber Castell Polychromos
    Prismacolor Verithin & Prismacolor
    and I don’t think that any of them has the same feel as the Col-Erase. I would say that Polychromos is the closest, but not that close. I think that Col-Erase feels like something in between a graphite pencil and a polychromos pencil. Hard to explain. 🙂

Mike Miller
    Participant

I generally just use graphite pencils. But over the holidays I went to the Jerry’s Artarama over in Virginia Beach and purchased two black color erase pencils and they are smooth. I fine they can really draw light and it is easier to go from dark to light with them. I see what Mat means when he really has to press down to get the darks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.