Chris' Journal

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Chris' Journal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Jumping in to start this thing off. Nothing scanned to post yet, but now I am one step closer to showing some stuff. I have had a quick look around and it is good to see lots of nice work. I mainly sketch away in my books, and do oil paintings. I have discovered my favourite drawing technique is identified by Matt in his beginning videos – chicken scratching! Back soon hopefully with a pic or two.

Cheers, Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

My first exercises here, trying continuous line exercise. I used a black col-erase pencil but I find them too light for me. I shall look for another tool. On my screen the scan looks a bit blue.

First one is playing with continuous line on printer paper; future practice should also work on variable lines more.

Second sketch is in my Hahnemuhle journal. The paper is tough, but soft. The pencil dug in too much and only left a pale tone for me. Based on Matt’s photo of museum statue. Focusing on the continuous line technique, could have put a bit more hip in there I think. Perhaps I will try this one again with other materials.

Marjan Van der Donk
    Participant

Nice start! Love the looseness of the drawings. And yes, the Col-erase are nothing as black as charcoal f.i. I limited myself toe graphite and later on Col-erase per Matt’s advice in his step by step course. That really helped me to learn to build up all the values, taught me patience and subtleties. So hang on there! On my quest for deep blacks in graphite, I was surprised to find really nice 9B pencils et cetera. So it’s worth experimenting with that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Marjan. I usually use pens so my regular sketches are not subtle. I will be using graphite for a while to work on my patience. I am hoping Matt’s slow and steady ways will rub off on me. I will need to try some other paper with the col-erase pencils as well.

Cheers, Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

A ballpoint pen sketch after old Master Bronzino, I think.

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

wow Chris – nice work! I love how you’ve got this ‘not using straight lines’ thing down : )
    Something I struggle with alot in my own stuff. I envy your organic curvy lines!

Nice ballpoint sketch : )

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Lucille. It’s easier when I copy the old masters, they knew what they were doing.

Basics practice, trying out pencils and pens as well. Practicing continuous lines, varying lines, some tone and gradation stuff, and more.

First image of two figures is continuous line exercise in my A5 size sketchbook – I probably should keep these simpler to get more mileage. Leave tone more for later study. References from an old book.

Other images are printer paper doodles, which can be relaxing. Too easy to go on autopilot though!

Cheers, Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

Still moving my pencils and pens…no sign that I am losing my scratchy ways, but at least I am sometimes focusing on improving my line etc. Slowly does it, I don’t want to throw out any good with the bad!

Image 1: drawing shapes from life (shapes I could see while sitting sketching, eg parts of furniture, dog, all overlapped with other stuff) and then trying to duplicate them. I find this gives me much more interesting shapes than I can make up, and maybe it even gives me more practice seeing shapes.

Image 2: sketchbook pages, one continuous line sketch of an old plaster cat sitting on the floor, that isn’t really this fat. I can try this again I think, with a bit more care. The other page is a bit of fun.

Image 3: sketchbook pages, fountain pen sketch of a Rembrandt etching, and notes from my first critique by Matt. Implementing them is a WIP.

Image 4: sketchbook pages, pen to paper, continuous line exercises from DTO reference. Obviously still not incorporating Matt’s critique suggestions! After I had done the layin of the right head I realised all the features were on the wrong alignment, so roughly fixed them up. Note to self, slow down and focus.

Now to make sure I have something done for the next critique.

Cheers, Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

Gotta turn up! I feel like I am slackening off and i have barely started here at DTO.

Posting two doodle / continuous line /whatever sketch pages (A4 and A3 size), trying other pencils and warming up. And two more spreads from my A5 size sketchbook, more pen stuff.

Cheers, Chris

Anonymous
    Inactive

An A3 page practising big shapes to help with portraits. I couldn’t stop getting carried away with details. I could probably get more practice if I stick with simple shape of hair/shape of face.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A couple of sketchbook pages from life. I haven’t done much sketching outdoors lately so that was good too.

Lucille Kreps
    Participant

thanks for posting all these sketchbook pages – I love looking through them! Lookin’ good!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for dropping by, Lucille.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

A gaggle of sketches on A3 printer paper (a lot of practice can be had with a ream of this paper!).

Most are Red chalk ones practising heads, trying to get shape of face/shape of hair mainly. Some I moved on a bit more. I must do lots more of these, I enjoy sketching heads and would like to get better.

The next one is ballpoint pen playing with rough skeletons. These seem like a good way to start thinking about landmarks on the body. Come on, Chris, do some more!

The last one is playing with a new medium (for me), a black Prismacolor art stick. I think I like it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The last image here…. getting used to this system.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.