Best starting point for Animation

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Best starting point for Animation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andre Carter
    Participant

Hey Matt,

I wanted to know based on your experience with your previous students, what is the best starting point for animation here on DTO?

Outside of DTO I am practicing animation but I am here in DTO to improve Gesture, shape, and design. I love animation but deeper than that, motion. Even in illustration I am very attracted to energy, motion, and line. Ultimately I want to be able to show emotion and story through character animation and illustration as I work my way to creating Visual novels.

Thank you,

André.

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Andre,

At SVA I teach my animation students for the first several weeks, Figure Drawing A Layered Approach. It’s the course titled Figure Drawing from Life under the begin here step by step.

It will provide you with a strong base of knowledge for drawing the figure.

Another good course for you is the 60 Minute figure. Both of those would be great for you.

Lastly how to draw the figure from your memory is another wonderful course that you should eventually watch. It will help you with gesture and motion.

All of these can be a bit overwhelming. Give yourself at least a month to digest each course. It’s not a sprint it’s a slow steady learning process that will make your drawings strong.

I will address this in next Monday’s podcast as well.

Matt

Andre Carter
    Participant

Hey Matt,

Thanks for responding in the mean time. I have some follow up questions. Would it be within my best interest to just jump in one of the courses or just stick in step by step for about a month? I also noticed that there is a Gesture drawing course. Should I start with that before I jump into the any of the figure drawing courses? I want to take my time with each but it would work much easier for me if they built on each other.

Like I said in my journal, I am going to really focus on the Pencil to paper homework for the week while I wait on the podcast.

Thanks again,

Andre.

Matthew
    Keymaster

Hi Andre,

The podcast should be posted later this afternoon.

Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.