Andre's Sketch Book

Dashboard Forums Members Journal Andre's Sketch Book

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andre Carter
    Participant

Hey, wanted to start a digital Sketchbook here.

I thought I’ll upload some of the more appropriate tasteful sketches and studies here. Again, if you would like to see more you can on my IG: https://www.instagram.com/ogsan_art/ or Twitter: https://twitter.com/OG__San . Again, both are NSFW so please view at your own discretion. I will be respecting this community by not posting that stuff here.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Andre Carter
    Participant

Attachments:
    Andre Carter
    Participant

these were in 2017

Attachments:
    Matthew
    Keymaster

Andre,

Nice work. I would also want to see you work on some full figures, from head to toe. Get the long gesture of the figure in. Plant the model’s feet on the ground as a platform.

That is where the true movement comes into play.

Matt

Andre Carter
    Participant

Thanks Matt.

I’m definitely going to jump on that asap.

I haven’t drawn traditionally in quite a while so it a bit intimidating coming back. I have opted to have bigger sketch books for a while. 8×10 was always too small for me and 18×24 I can’s carry around with my all the time so I opted to get an 11×14. I like the space that it gives me for something portable.

I get a hour lunch so I have time to do some quick sketches. My desk at work is pretty big so I have some room:

desk

I decided to catch up on some of the recommended reading and watch some of the step by step videos. Pencil to Paper is going to be really helpful for me easing back in to traditional. I was really paying attention to continuous line. The circles, figure 8’s, and scribbles feel great with gliding the side of my palm on the paper. Since I am working a bit bigger my hand actually has room to fit on the side. I was actually paying attention to the page economy I have while it resting. I one of the videos Matt mentioned that he draws just slightly to the left of the book to give himself some room. I have never thought about that! I started marking where that is most comfortable for me in the 11×14.

page econ

After reading Matt’s response to my question post I want to just into Gesture first, but I am unsure if I should be just concentrating on that or that and just one of the figure drawing courses at the same time? I I’ll be sure to add that as a follow up on the thread for Monday.

I’m also unsure to keep going with Step by step or just hop into gesture?

I went a head picked up a value finder. Think for this week I am going to do is try out the Pencil to paper homework and use it for my Monday critique and podcast.

value finder

Andre Carter
    Participant

oops some reason photos didn’t load

1 my desk

2. hand on sketchbook

3. value finder.

Attachments:
    Arjun Khode
    Participant

Nice stuff Andre! I work digitally too. I am @aktracer on Instagram

Andre Carter
    Participant

Thank you, Arjun!

Over the week I have worked on a couple of things.

1. Pencil to paper

This was the homework for pencil to paper. I want to re-attempt this one. I was taking some notes after looking at this and noticed that the proportions and values are a bit off. Around the back of the neck and shoulders I had less confidence with my continuous line. I want to take these notes and what Matt gives on Monday into my next try.

2. Cast drawing: value ratio/3 values

This was also homework for Pencil to paper. I decided to do the value ratio and 3 value study to help me understand value more. Using line and tone together helps me see more. It also making my drawings more interesting. Taking these points over to animation has been helping tremendously.

3. Value matching.

I did these before I did the value ratio/ 3 value study. Like Matt says this helps with knowing you touch. With continuously doing these, I have been able to physically see the subtle changes in value as a build on. I don’t think that I will be using this full range in my finished work for animation and sprites but it is very great starting point to not only see values but control them.

4. More Pencil to paper.

I was feeling ambitious and did another hand at pencil to paper but with a different reference. It kinda dropped the ball on this one. The model for this is a bit more hunched over and my center line is off. I want to re try this one too and take some note in to the re-do.

Attachments:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.