Reply To: On the Fence with University

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message On the Fence with University Reply To: On the Fence with University

Marjan Van der Donk
Participant

Hi Samantha,
As a former private tutor I have guided a fair share of 17 and 18-year-olds through similar questions. Firstly: kudos for asking, for it is very important to get feedback from as many people as possible, esp. professionals. Secondly: 20 is an ideal age, for you make a more concious decision than most. Also I would encourage you to feel that you are ‘allowed’ to make the NOT so perfect choice 😉 for there are no perfect things in life. You base your choice on what you know and feel at a certain point in time, and that perspective might change through your experiences or circumstances. And then you just make the next choice, as simple as that! Could be changing universities, changing courses, experimenting in mediums … you never ‘loose a year’, rather you always gain experience and maturity. This applies to artists even more! I feel that you will gain a lot from going to university/professional art school. You will be challenged, will be pulled from your comfort zone, gain perspective on your likes and dislikes, hopefully get some decent tutoring re techniques and the reality of being an artist and get to know your way around exhibitions/galleries/the money side of things.
Good luck!