Reply To: New to the site? Let us know a little about yourself.

Dashboard Forums Introduce Yourself RSS New to the site? Let us know a little about yourself. Reply To: New to the site? Let us know a little about yourself.

Madison Hughes
Participant

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Madison. Residing in Monterey, California, I am a self-taught artist since November 2015. My artistic passion is drawing with any dry medium including graphite, pastel, colored pencil, and charcoal. I also enjoy pen & ink drawing, and have an interest in, but have never attempted, acrylic palette knife painting. My aim is to capture the essence of a subject in portraiture, figure, animal, or still life drawing. My favorite drawing styles includes tenebrism, sanguine, and pen & ink.

My very short personal drawing journey goes something like this. At the end of 2015, I checked out a book from my local library titled, “Drawing A Likeness” by Douglas R. Graves, 1979. There are about fifty portraits in the book, and I decided to attempt to draw every one of them until I figured out this thing called portraiture. I ended up drawing about forty-six. I then went on a Leonardo da Vinci kick drawing about ten of his drawings. I finished off 2016 with more Douglas R. Graves drawings. In 2017 I became an active member of Darrel Tank’s Five Pencil Method Online art studio. Also using Pinterest, Pixabay, Usplash, and Pexels for reference photos I drew many (over fifty) tenebrist portrait drawings. In 2018 I joined the ArtTutor Online studio where I am still currently an active member. It was in May of 2018 that I stumbled upon an excellent book by William L. Maughan titled, “The Artist’s Complete Guide to Drawing the Head” 2004. This was the book that gave me the aha moment of “seeing” the critical concept of shadow shapes. I also used this book’s drawings as reference drawings for over thirty sanguine portrait drawings. In early 2019 I purchased Stan Prokopenko’s Portrait Drawing, Figure Drawing, and Anatomy for Artists courses, and have passively participated in each. I am also a member of Kirsty Partridge, and Lineke Lijn’s Patreon. So here I find myself in the Spring of 2019 beginning another chapter in this drawing journey titled, Drawing Tutorials Online; where I look forward to the wonderful figure, and portrait drawing tutorials of Matt Archambault.

I am from New Orleans, Louisiana. As a scholarship cadet, I completed the Army ROTC program at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, Louisiana where I received my commission as a U.S. Army Officer in 1986. I served as an Army aviator until I retired from the Army Reserve in 2009 after twenty-three years of service. My passion for drawing derived from the introduction of art therapy as a coping mechanism for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Currently, I am employed with the Department of Defense, where I plan to retire in the next four years. My other interests include reading Art Theory/History, Mythology, Psychology, Poetry–and my absolute favorite subject–Philosophy. I find my greatest joy sharing my life with my wife Jackie.