Reply To: Basic questions

Dashboard Forums Weekly Member Message Basic questions Reply To: Basic questions

Adina Somesan
Participant

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your answers, very kind of you!

Ann Marie, so if I understood correctly, you use the large sketchbook 14×17 at home for practice, correct? Then you do your portfolio drawings on the drawing paper. Where do you store these drawings? I also have a hardcover, hardbound sketchbook, but A4. Larger it seems too big for me, especially in a portrait format.

Nancy, nice table! I wish I could use something like that, but I found a workaround. I’m still experimenting with this setup. If I’ll find it uncomfortable, I’ll just use my drawing board and somehow make the sketchbook stay on it.
I recently got into podcasts and I’m listening to SVSlearn, 3 point perspective: the illustration podcast and 10% happier. All interesting until now 🙂

Matt, thank you for considering my questions! I already watched those lessons, I guess I still have some questions:
– the recycled drawing paper pad and the bristol pad are best for portfolio drawings, correct? In the video, you say to keep them in the pad, but for a longer drawing I would remove the sheet and pun it on my drawing board. How would you store the drawings then?
– you say the Canson 1557 pad is good for life drawing. Could you please explain the difference between a life drawing and a portfolio drawing? Is it the number of hours that go into it or the fact that life drawings from a class are considered practice, so you don’t use the best paper?
Sorry, it’s a bit confusing for me!
In my mind there are the following options:
– short practice drawings in the sketchbook (30sec to 30min)
– long practice drawings in the sketchbook or sketch pad (larger and thicker paper than the sketchbook, but not the best, like 1557 Canson) if it’s a complex composition, or full figure maybe? I would do these to prepare for portfolio drawings, get used to putting more time in a single drawing, more time into measuring and rendering (1h to 6h)
– portfolio drawings on drawing pad (Bristol or other options). These could take a lot of time, depending on style
– for smaller portfolio drawings, would you use the paper from a drawing pad and simply rip it to a smaller size?
Would this be correct? I’m not considering newsprint, charcoal and toned papers because I don’t really have an interest or use for them at the moment.

Thank you for your time and patience with a noob!

Attachments:
You must be logged in to view attached files.